Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel guilty about grocery shopping for non-primal family? page

Sally is offline Member

Anyone else feel guilty about grocery shopping for non-primal family?

Primal Fuel
    So even more after reading "Why We Get Fat", Gary Taubes new book, when I grocery shop now for my family of 5 I feel guilty filling the cart full of stuff I know is horrible for them. I've certainly shared with them things I've been reading (ad nauseam, I'm sure) but they aren't ready to try it yet.

I'm trying to figure out my own limits on buying/preparing grain based stuff for the family. Last night, I made a good primal salad, steak, and to satisfy the rest of them I stuck with fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat.

but it's the rest of it, with 3 kids. The constant requests for mac n cheese, white bread, mashed potatoes, pasta... now I feel like I'm buying them "poisonous things".

Some of it is easier. I have no problem refusing to buy them soda and other super junky junk food, it's the things they've seen me eat my whole life that I have difficulty saying no to, but feeling crappy about when I'm buying it.

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    Yes! I'm with you! My wife isn't primal but eats pretty darn healthy otherwise and everything in moderation. I have a 18 month old son and he too eats pretty good and is built like a brickhouse, lol. Like you I try to come up with tasty primal recipes and make them for them. It is tough with my boy and i wonder how early is too early to start the kids off on the primal journey.

Grokette2011 is offline Junior Member

Absolutely

I would like to introduce a primal diet with my kids slowly but not to sure where to start. I am now serving them more vegetable and buying more fruit, but they also ask for mac and cheese. Going grocery shopping tomorrow making a list. Made some primal meatballs hope they enjoy them!!

GUN5LING3R is offline Senior Member
    ahhhh the mac and cheese, yes. My son will NOT be pleased, lol.

Maybe instead of mac n cheese you make a super creamy, cheesy cauliflower dish. I make my own deep fried chicken nuggets by breading the chicken pieces in almond flour, dredging them through egg and then breading them in a seasoned mix of pulverized pork rinds and parm cheese. Very tasty. Try switching to mashed sweet potatoes or sweet potato fries. You could also try switching to sandwiches rolled up in lettuce instead of bread.

As far as pasta goes, I'd either just make it go away for wean them from it. Start using it as a meat side instead of a potato then one day *poof* no more pasta.

mac131124 is offline Junior Member
    My wife and I are the same way. Our boys have never been into junk food and my 5 year old almost had a melt down when given a sprite by a friend. We are blessed that our kids like fruit and juice. But they are also grain addicts. We tried to take them off. The 14 month old never really noticed but he eats constantly and we couldn't really keep up. The 5 year old on the other hand loves pasta, tacos, and cereal. He resisted every attempt at substituting that stuff. I dont know how someone can be only 5 years old and be so in grained with CW...... We fought with him every meal for 2 weeks before we gave in. We only gave in because of an all day uncontrollable fit. Turns out taking that stuff from him really stressed him out. We resolved to educating him later in life and hoping that he accepts the benefits, especially since he is an athlete. Anyway I went shopping today by my self and felt like the whole damn store was looking at me when I put anything non primal in the basket. I have a hard time giving them stuff i know is trash.
    Michael McMurray
    Devoted Christian
    Husband
    Father
    SSG US Army
    Bradley Master Gunner
    And Striving to be the best Cave Man I can be!!!

Glen Beck for President 2012!!!

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mac131124 View Post
    My wife and I are the same way. Our boys have never been into junk food and my 5 year old almost had a melt down when given a sprite by a friend. We are blessed that our kids like fruit and juice. But they are also grain addicts. We tried to take them off. The 14 month old never really noticed but he eats constantly and we couldn't really keep up. The 5 year old on the other hand loves pasta, tacos, and cereal. He resisted every attempt at substituting that stuff. I dont know how someone can be only 5 years old and be so in grained with CW...... We fought with him every meal for 2 weeks before we gave in. We only gave in because of an all day uncontrollable fit. Turns out taking that stuff from him really stressed him out. We resolved to educating him later in life and hoping that he accepts the benefits, especially since he is an athlete. Anyway I went shopping today by my self and felt like the whole damn store was looking at me when I put anything non primal in the basket. I have a hard time giving them stuff i know is trash.
    It's not CW that's getting him...it's the addictive quality of grains!

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    If you cook the food, they eat what you make. I don't by crap food, it makes me a hypocrite. If my husband wants chips or crap food for himself (or the kids) he goes to buy it. I refuse. I just can't willingly buy that for them. They got over it. They don't resent me for it and they get enough crap from people who follow SAD.

Food is one of the first "stances" kids take to get just a little taste of control. Giving in to eating SAD is no different then giving in to your kid having cake for dinner because they keep whining for it.

BTW, roasted potatoes in duck fat, good 20% option.
    Last edited by bionicsamm; 01-13-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I was forced to eat whatever the hell my parents felt like eating. I figure other children can survive their elders about as well.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    No. Not bothered. Regularly buy bread for housemate. She doesn't care what kind particularly so I buy sour dough.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast