Thread: Just starting Primal Diet - contending with IBD page

maew71 is offline Junior Member

Just starting Primal Diet - contending with IBD

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone... hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.

I have seen and heard alot of people say that PB is helping their IBD (I have Crohns) which is great! I just started the PB diet last week (it has been 7 days) and day by day it gets easier.... except I have noticed over the last couple of days that the inflammation in my gut has increased; bloating, pain around my ilieum, etc.

Has anyone else with IBD noticed an initial increase in symptoms before the decrease? If so what did you do to deal with it?

Thanks alot!

strom is offline Senior Member
    Same type of chrohns here too! In the illium. the low carb flu may last for 3 weeks to several months. It does affect infllammation. You have may have to eat tons of fish and fish oil to compensate in the meantime. Also you may have to lay off the dairy and night shades (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants) until you don't have any symptoms. You may be able to reintroduce both back later. Also ease off any intensive workouts your doing in this time as well. I almost fell asleep several times in my Jui Jitsu class when I had the low carb flu.

Sally is offline Member
    I don't know about the Crohns, but I read that one of the common symptoms in initial primal when you go low-carb is for your kidneys to try to hang on to sodium, thus causing water retention and digestive symptoms. The solution was in drinking one to two cups of chicken or beef broth a day, during your initial lowcarb transition. I started getting digestive symptoms after about 14 days of primal, so I just started trying the broth solution today. Too soon to tell.

hope that helps a bit, I wish I had the book in front of me so I could explain it better than I did. And as I mentioned, I don't know how it applies to Crohns. good luck!

Low carb flu... first I had heard of that! This is my first long term low carb diet..... I have done the Wild Rose cleanse before ( minus the herbs ) which allows for a diet that is virtually the same as the PB diet, however it is a shorter term (14 days). I noticed the fogginess and the pain at that point, and always gave up because I just thought I was unable to handle such a diet given the Crohns.... but this time I am going to stick it out, and I will try your suggestions.... thanks all!

I thought I would update this thread since it has been 9 months since I started.

When I first started this diet I wasn't sure if I could stick it out.... for those of you that have IBD, you may have heard of the "low residue diet": low fiber, easy to digest foods which include almost all of the high carb foods you can imagine. Every time I got bloated or ill I attributed it to eating too much fiber, too many vegetables and other hard to digest things.

This diet started much the same... the bloating and pain got worse before it got better. For 2 weeks I was sick and achy and inflamed. Little did I know that was the beginning of the end! As it turns out, gluten was a major contributor to my inflammation and bloating. Another major contributor? Bad fats. When Mark says that Omega 6 does a number on the bodies response to inflammation, he isn't kidding. The difference is night and day.... I don't get bloated anymore, I don't feel achy, I don't feel exhausted and weak; I actually feel like I can fight my way out of a paper bag!

And anyone that has IBD will appreciate this; I can eat almost any fruit or vegetable I want, including grapefruit (a BIG no no before), broccoli, spinach, onions... without major side effects.

I know not everyone with Crohn's has the ability to control their disease by diet, and I can sure appreciate that... but I can tell you that if you are in remission there is nothing at all to be lost by trying this diet for a month to see if you feel better. I have never felt better in my life!