Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP me sate my Groklets!!! Pleeeease!!! page

Imogen is offline Senior Member

HELP me sate my Groklets!!! Pleeeease!!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, so we've been 100% primal since December 1st, 2010.

Years ago when we switched to traditional foods, including high fat, my children were ravenous for fat and protein, so they ate it like crazy, and that lasted about four months before they leveled out. Between three of them, three years and under and myself and partner, we ate a pound of butter every day, olive oil and all of the fat from our meats. Pretty much everything was a vehicle for butter. But, as I wrote, this leveled off after four months and since then, and until December 3rd, 2010, we had been eating 1/2 lb of butter each day.

Now, we are not eating butter, but have had a selection of fats liberally included in each meal. Usually we have eggs fried in lard at breakfast, or like today, egg drop soup made with the broth of three spent (pastured) layers with all of their fat mixed into the soup (and there's a LOT of it), lunch was their meat on a BAS with loads of olive oil.

My concern is that my children ate this, and I had not yet turned away from the sink where I was putting our bowls when the four who can walk (7, 6, 5, and 3 yrs) were asking for food because they were hungry.

Their meals, like mine, are between 60 and 70% fat calories.

They seem to want to snack constantly, and some days I just give in because I am tiring of being in the kitchen making food all day long. Their choices when they ask are things like handfuls of dates, apples, bananas, carrots, raisins, and anything else we have that's sweet. Are they needing more carbs? I notice that when they have their carb-out on fruit, they don't eat the protein and fat at their meals, and this means they are even hungrier and become grouchy and pale in the face.

What is going on? The only differences in our diet in going primal have been in eliminating grains and dairy. All of our other food choices are the same- whole, clean foods, pastured when available, all of the fat, and the main meal in the middle of the day. I have replaced the lost dairy fats with animal fats- chicken, goose, lard, coconut, which we eat liberally. I have replaced the carbs in dairy that they would have had as yogurt (we never ate non-fermented dairy before either), with full-fat coconut milk.

They haaaate sweet potatoes.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this the period of filling their nutrient needs now that they are not being flushed out with grains and dairy? How long will this go on? I seriously do not have enough time to prepare the amount of food they are asking for; it is truly unreal how much they are asking to eat. Food is taking over our whole day and that's just not okay, but I really don't know what the alternative is if they are hungry.

What am I missing?
    Last edited by Imogen; 01-13-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    No clue, but I"m watching because this could help me with my 5yo.

russiand is offline Junior Member
    This is only my opinion so please take it as that.

I am a father, and I feel that how clean I eat isn't how my children need to eat. IMO part of being a child is enjoying a nice slice of pizza, or mac n cheese. Metabolism aside, I just feel that they will have the chance to grow up and make lifestyle choices for themselves.

I support healthy home cooked meals for the family. I support letting them know that fruit is way better than candy etc. However, imho, children shouldnt have to eat ultra clean because their parents do.

My wife and children eat what I eat, but they will add brown rice or wheat pasta or sweet potatoes etc when they want too. They also will eat bananas and drink juices.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for.

Children are not even remotely invincible to IBS, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, hypothyroid, hypoadrenia, obesity, type 2 diabetes, emotional/psychological depression, allergies, intolerances, infections, idiopathic autoimmune disorders, vitamin/mineral deficiencies, etc... These are all diet-related maladies. It is important to me that none of these are part of being a child for my children.

Many/most of the forum members who are here to work through health problems have had them since childhood.

You are making a lifestyle choice for your children when you serve them mac and cheese, pizza, and rice.

Thanks for your opinion, but since I asked in the nutrition forum of a Primal discussion board, I've obviously made clear that I have no intention to feed my children the SAD. Your opinion is the most widely held (conventional wisdom) and has resulted in the abovementioned maladies being widely common both in children and adults in North America.

My children have never eaten the SAD: their childhood is so, so much better than even partly about eating toxic and/or inflammatory food. Most adults will choose the foods they ate as children unless something persuades them otherwise. In my opinion, my children will have their whole adulthood to make poor lifestyle choices; I'm certainly not going to be the one encouraging them to do so as the standard for daily living.

ETA: My family does eat a lot of "fun" foods, too, because it is important that we enjoy ourselves, of course, and I get that this is likely what you were expressing. I make chocolate balls, "smudge" (a frozen treat made with nutbutter, honey, coconut oil, salt and real vanilla), frozen birthday cakes (the latest was a pecan mango one), and we have a wide variety of foods in general. My children love our food, have had other food from restaurants and others' homes, and they find it usually lacking in flavour.

I love that my children all but fall over one another when the rhubarb is being handed out from the garden, or peas, or lettuce, or turnips that wintered in the ground. They are very excited about food. We choose to eat real food, though. I really cannot imagine that if you saw my children's excitement about food in general, you'd think they were missing out.

And, just as an aside, we live on a food-producing farm. Food is a very immediate and important aspect of my family's life.
    Last edited by Imogen; 01-13-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    If they tolerate dairy, then I would feed them cheese, preferably raw. Their bodies may be craving the vitamins A & K they were getting from the butter. It will also give them some carbs.

I would absolutely do that, but they are all intolerant, at least for now. By the end of the second day grain-free, they had bright red circles around their eyes and beet-red ears immediately following having a bowl of full-fat, organic yogurt (no sweeteners, no additives of any kind). I don't have access to raw milk, but the same thing happened when they ate raw, aged cheddar.

I thought about the A1/A2 issue and I'm going to see if we can obtain some raw goat's milk to see if they'd tolerate it.

We're all of European ancestry, and I am hoping that once our guts are healed, we can eat fermented milk products.

Do you think the coconut milk isn't heavy enough? Or is it potentially an insulin issue that milk addresses, but coconut doesn't?

I'm nursing our baby; maybe I should pump for the others and just eat for six, lol.

ETA: we all take cod liver oil for A & D, plus extra D3, and I'm not sure about K. Going to look it up. Thanks!

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Can you give them extra carbs at meals (carrots, turnips, sweet-ish vegetables? Potatoes?) and protein/fat-based snacks? That might keep them more even-keeled... I struggle with this with my daughter too, but things seem to go better when she gets meals that include some carbs (yogurt with fruit for breakfast, along with her salami or cheese; carrot sticks and dip for lunch with some meat, etc.) in the main meals and then just fat/protein for snacks (or something like nuts, which she likes but not to the point of eating too much). However, I still find that she's apt to fill up on snacks and then not eat dinner, which is frustrating.... anyway, I hear you, good luck, I'll be watching this thread for ideas!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Are they getting enough protein? Maybe keep hard boiled eggs on hand in quantity at all times?

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    when you ask your children what they are hungry for what do they want?
    i would take their answer and listen to that. it may be different for each of them and it may not.
    though i have not been primal/paleo for very long i think if your kids have been eating foods outside of the SAD diet that letting their intuition guide them in satiating their hunger would be the starting point and then tweaking it as you go.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Once their guts heal from no grains, I imagine they will be able to tolerate dairy again. This is true for me, as long as I eat fermented or raw dairy. I was able to tolerate goat's dairy pre-Primal and now I can eat cow's dairy no problem.

The snacking doesn't sound abnormal. Given that kids grow so fast (and run around so much), they may well need more calories. Growth spurt? Can you up the fat even more and maybe add some white rice to their meals?

Pre-make snacks for the week and put them in a special part of the fridge? Carrot & celery sticks with almond or cashew butter?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast