Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal & IBS page 2

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks guys. I'll try the magnesium. It'll be a bit tricky since I have the IBS with the alternating Montezuma's Revenge and constipation...

slacker is offline Senior Member
    IMHO, vitamin D and fish oil and cutting out ALL grains, corn, soy, and sugars is the best.

A friend of mine was put on one quart per day of fresh cabbage juice by her naturopath. She had to stick with it for several months before the results kicked in, but she said it was miraculous. Others swear by fresh homemade sauerkraut. I'm not disciplined enough to make and eat those every single day, but I don't doubt those who sing their praises.

Good luck!

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    HonuRacer, from my quick scan of the thread it appears you're still eating grains. The first thing I would do is drop them from your diet, especially gluten-containing ones. I'd be very surprised if this didn't improve your IBS symptoms radically within a month - I've seen it happen several times with friends with long-standing IBS problems.

Ransom is offline Senior Member
    I don't mean to jack this thread but it's at least on topic. What does IBS really look like(just an expression, please don't answer in detail)? I've wondered if I'm still having it but I'm just not sure. For me, I find that sometimes I have a lot of difficuly...uhh...getting it out. I feel like I need to use the facilities but I get in there and I have to push so hard I feel like my head is going to explode and even at that I'm only successful sometimes (usually the muscles down there contract before anything comes out and it pulls it back in...very frustrating because it's right there - sorry for that detail). Even if I am successful, there are usually pellet like and it's only a little bit. I've found that the only way to get it out easily and in a decent amount is to wait until my body says, "It's time...like, RIGHT NOW!" This doesn't always happen every day, sometimes it's a couple days. Is that IBS?

I average between 50-100g of carbs a day (95% are veggies) and I eat a plenty of fat and protein. I do have cheat meals once a week (sometimes less, never more) that do include grains and/or sugar (not really a difference, I know) so I guess that could be the problem. I just remember that I seemed more "regular" pre-primal where I was lean and "healthy" but I ate whole grains and such consistently... I'm just kind of confused by the whole deal.
    Strength and Honor

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    IBS, Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Can't tell you what the symptoms are since I don't know, but that doesn't sound like what you have. Yours sounds more like simple constipation.

For what it's worth that's what I have, I usually go every two days. Stool is soft though, comes out with no straining so I don't worry too much, but I know I need to balance my gut flora. Don't strain, it does bad things to sphincters like the one that keeps stuff in the large intestine from entering the small one. Instead, get something like a Nature's Platform (not affiliated), it supports proper evacuation and you'll be spending much less effort on the can.

HonuRacer, one suggestion I haven't heard is getting your gut flora balanced, try asking your doctor about that. That's probably what's behind the results slacker mentioned with the cabbage juice and sauerkraut, which are cruciferous veggies anyway.

handgallop is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HonuRacer View Post
    I also have Factor V Leiden, which means I'm a hyper-clotter and have to watch my Vitamin K intake (dark leafy greens). I had laproscopic surgery last summer.
    Don't have much advice, but "hi" from another hyper-clotter Discovered this last fall when I found myself hospitalized for pulmonary embolism. Figures Spinach is one of my favorite things *sad* In any case at my next hemotologist visit I'm finding out about post-coumadin "therapy" - feverfew vs. aspirin, etc (basically blood thinners that aren't as extreme as the coumadin) and see if staying on that sort of thing will mean I can go back to my beloved spinach. Will happily let you know what I find out

This is the quick and dirty low-down on IBS - it comes in three flavors - 1. constipation, 2. diarrhea, 3. alternating between the two. If you have IBS you fall into one of the three groups. On top of the BM type and frequency, you may experience pain in the upper GI when you eat something that aggravates your IBS. Bloating, gas in upper and lower GI are symptoms as well. IBS sufferers will often still feel like they need to go right after a BM, that full feeling does not go away.

My symptoms are mostly pain after eating something that irritates my gut/bowels, frequent bloating and fullness in the upper GI (feels like there is a huge brick that won't go away) with a lot of gas formation in the lower bowels. I have the alternating form of IBS. I tend to engage in activities that don't include other people for obvious reasons - kayaking, hiking, riding my Kawi. Having IBS has really impacted my social life.

Quote Originally Posted by handgallop View Post
    In any case at my next hemotologist visit I'm finding out about post-coumadin "therapy" - feverfew vs. aspirin, etc (basically blood thinners that aren't as extreme as the coumadin) and see if staying on that sort of thing will mean I can go back to my beloved spinach. Will happily let you know what I find out
    Factor V Leiden is genetic. I inherited from my father. He had DVT's in his legs every few years. His first experience was after a long-haul flight. I don't take coumadin anymore, I was on it for 9 months after my first DVT in 2001. My father, though, was on it for the remainder of his life after he had repeated DVT's. I can tell you the stuff is harsh. It completely destroyed his liver over a 25 year span. Other, more natural, blood thinners are Gingko, Vitamin E, feverfew (like you mentioned). Good luck with this disease. Those of us with Factor V are also prone to phlebitis - inflammation of the blood vessels.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    HonuRacer, it seems like you got a lot of good advice already. I just wanted to remind you not to let "the perfect be the enemy of good." Yes, it would probably be ideal if you could eat more vegetables. But, I just eliminating grains and sugar may be very beneficial for you. PB hasn't eliminated my IBS yet (I also have the alternating type), but it has helped it. Adding more "living foods" to my diet (like kefir and kimchee) has helped a lot too. You also might find that some extra starch helps you - I find sweet potatoes very soothing for my gut, plus their skin is a decent source of fiber. Also, as my body is adjusting to the PB, I'm starting to be able to eat things that I couldn't before. For example, I drank some coffee this morning, yet am not sitting on the toilet right now. That is a huge improvement for me!

Ransom, it's hard to say what IBS looks like. It involves abdominal pain, and can take the form of diarrhea, constipation, or alternate between both (which is what the OP and I have). It's a diagnosis of exclusion - basically, you get tested for the billion known medical problems that can cause those types of gastrointestinal symptoms, and if they can't find anything else wrong with you, you get diagnosed with IBS. Yay.
    Last edited by theholla; 01-14-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: was missing a word
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by HonuRacer View Post
    My symptoms are mostly pain after eating something that irritates my gut/bowels, frequent bloating and fullness in the upper GI (feels like there is a huge brick that won't go away) with a lot of gas formation in the lower bowels. I have the alternating form of IBS. I tend to engage in activities that don't include other people for obvious reasons - kayaking, hiking, riding my Kawi. Having IBS has really impacted my social life.
    I had to quit my judo class for the same reasons Grappling and bad gas don't really mix... Running is my favorite exercise, since it lets me get away from my farts so quickly
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast