Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I''ve got this heart defrosting in my fridge page

bwhit is offline Senior Member

So I''ve got this heart defrosting in my fridge

Primal Fuel
    and I'm a little nervous about it. I tried to Google "heart recipes" but it keeps coming back with "heart-healthy recipes." Any suggestions on what to do with this thing? And I forgot what kind of animal it's from.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Fear not
    Heart is essentially another big muscle, so it's not so different from steak after all. Having said that, I've only ever used it in stews, casseroles. In other words, dice it and chop off any gristly/valve-y bits.
    How big is it? Might give us a clue as to what animal it is! I saw someone on here that had roasted a whole heart.

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    Try Googling "heart stew", and that sort of thing. Most are from a CW POV so include potato and flour but I am sure that with a little ingenuity they can be adapted. I believe if you try "roasted heart" you should get some more - again from a CW, carb-loaded perspective but you should get the idea. Good cooking :-D

Pookie is offline Member
    I just had beef heart this past weekend. I simply cut into strips and fried until getting tasty and crispy.

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    How big is it? Might give us a clue as to what animal it is! I saw someone on here that had roasted a whole heart.[/QUOTE]

It's medium sized. I bought a kidney at the same time. I think one belonged to a lamb and one belonged to something else. A calf maybe? Can't remember which is which.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    I have one in the fridge. I'm going to do something vaguely like one of these two recipes:

Heart on Fire (over kale)
    Ingredients:
    • 1-2 hearts
    • 2 chopped carrots
    • 3 chopped celery hearts
    • 1 chopped onion
    • 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
    • 3 chopped jalapenos
    • 3/4 cup coconut flakes
    • 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
    • 1 teaspoon chilli powder
    • 1 teaspoon red pepper
    • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
    • 1/2 teaspoon cloves
    • 2 teaspoons cilantro flakes (or 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro)
    • 1 large bunch of kale, sliced
    • 1/2 can of coconut milk
    Instructions:
    Cut the heart in half and remove any valves and connective tissue with a sharp knife or kitchen shears.
    Put 3/4th or so of the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, jalapenos, coconut flakes and spices in the bottom of the Crock-Pot to make a good base.
    Place the heart in the Crock-Pot and cover it with the remaining veggies and spices. Add a cup or so of liquid (broth or water) and cook on low for about 6 hours.
    When the heart is cooked, put the kale in a large pan, pour in the coconut milk and sauté until kale reaches desired softness. Slice the heart into small pieces. Serve over kale.
    The crock of my crock-pot cracked, so I either have to use a dutch oven or get a new one, if I decide to go in this direction. Also, I don't have any kale on hand, although I could probably fake the rest of the recipe if I don't feel like going out in the freezing cold.

Anticuchos (Grilled Beef Heart)
    Ingredients
    • 8 dried Puya chiles or 4 dried California chiles, wiped clean
    • 4 Chiles de Arbol
    • 2 tablespoons Annatto seeds
    • 1 garlic cloves, peeled
    • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    • 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded and roughly chopped
    • 1/2 cup olive oil
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 1 pound beef hearts, trimmed of all sinew and silverskin
    Directions
    Remove stems from chiles and shake out and discard seeds.
    In small saucepan place chiles with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove from heat and let sit 20 minutes to soften. Drain and discard water.
    In a blender combine dried chiles, annatto seeds, garlic, cumin, red wine vinegar and jalapeno. Puree at high speed 1 - 2 minutes, or until thick and smooth.
    Add olive oil and salt and blend again until mixed.
    Cut beef hearts into 2 x 1/4-inch strips. Place in a bowl, pour over chile mixture and toss to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
    Preheat grill or broiler. Thread 4 - 5 pieces of beef heart on a bamboo skewer.
    Grill until seared on all sides, about 3 - 5 minutes. Serve hot.
    I really like the sound of this one, but it would definitely require shopping and then (again) grilling outside. Did I mention it's really cold here?

I have another recipe (mushroom-stuffed heart); let me know if you want me to post that one.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Look up a recipe for anticuchos. i served this at a party, and all the guests agreed that it was yummy (not all were primal or adventurous).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 01-13-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I cooked a variation of one of the grilled heart recipes from the user created cookbook ebook last week, with a pig heart.
    It was yum!

Just picked up a couple of huge beef hearts today completely by fluke, only $4.50/kg whereas the next cheapest cut of beef in the butchers was around the $13/kg mark!

I was picking up some pig hearts and kidneys to feed my puppies (ok, I was going to snaffle a couple of them for myself ) and asked if they were able to get beef hearts too (I've never seen them in my local butchers before). They said that they can order them and would just check how much they would be, anyway it turned out that they had approx 5kg's that had been delivered instead of pig hearts. The lady said "lucky doggies" I laughed and said "no, no, lucky me", she laughed then looked at me and realised I was serious then grimaced Don't know why eating beef heart should be any more disgusting that pig heart, but it made me laugh. And if it tastes ok I'll be placing a regular order, that's for sure.

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    You can make a version of Anticuchos de Corazon without exotic ingredients and by using the broiler. I make a marinade of olive oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, and powdered chipotle pepper (McCormick makes it, so I don't consider that exotic), marinate heart cubes in that for at least an hour, skewer them, and broil for like 5 minutes per side, until they're just barely done. Delicious!

(if you want the exact recipe, I'll look it up on my old food blog, but I was too lazy to bother otherwise)

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Melantha View Post
    You can make a version of Anticuchos de Corazon without exotic ingredients and by using the broiler. I make a marinade of olive oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, cumin, and powdered chipotle pepper (McCormick makes it, so I don't consider that exotic), marinate heart cubes in that for at least an hour, skewer them, and broil for like 5 minutes per side, until they're just barely done. Delicious!
    Wow, that sounds great! I'm saving that version for my next experiments Thanks!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast