Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with morbid obesity? page

Desperate Guest

Shop Now

I have read Mark's essay on insulin with interest and wish to ask him/others a question. Is there any hope left for me?

I am a menopausal female of 51 and 5ft 3 and weigh 365 pounds, BMI 64. I am extremely carb sensitive and most of my life have been sugar addicted. Even eating fruit sets off horrendous carb cravings which always lead to me eating chocolate.

I've been trying to lose weight on and off for 33 years, the past 9 years on various regimes (calorie counting, vegetarianism, listening to my body, exercise, and low fat. Found low carbing about 9 yrs ago and have done various like whole, organic foods, south beach, Atkins, etc. I've gained about 70lb trying to lowcarb.

5 weeks ago I gave up ALL sugar, grains, fruit, artificial sweeteners, diet sodas and went onto zero carb consisting mainly of meat (small amount of eggs, cheese, cream) and water. Appetite greatly reduced, VERY easy to keep to. Two meals a day, and fasting for 9 to 18 hours in between, I feel great and it has cleared up many health problems, from sleep apnoea to carpal tunnel. I was for 20 years a reactive hypoglycaemic but a meat diet has cured that. My fasting BS last week was 4.9 which is perfect.

My only problem is this: I have lost neither a pound in weight OR any inches. I take no meds and am in good health apart from the morbid obesity that my doc says will soon kill me. I do not know if I am insulin resistant or what on earth label anyone can put on me, my doc just parrots on and on that I am just lazy and greedy basically.

Although a sportswoman in my younger days (tennis, badminton, cycling) I am because of my horrific weight lately completely sedentary 23 hours a day and the only exercise I can do without pain is in the pool so I go for one hour every other day and do kicking, swimming, pilates, stretching, cycling etc. I also just started lifting 3kg weights at my desk. Swimming does NOT increase my appetite, in fact it seems to decrease it somewhat. I don't swim to lose weight but to keep fit.

For 4 weeks I was zero carb. On Fitday 75% fat, 24% protein and 1% carb (from cream).

The last 7 days I have included some carbs in my diet in the form of mushrooms, hummus, lettuce, broccoli and French beans. Now I am at 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs.

I take no caffeine, drugs, alcohol, tobacco. I drink about 4 pts of water a day mostly with a herbal tea bag in it (fruit flavour).

1) Is my metabolism SO messed up that I will never lose weight?

2) Am I merely impatient and must give zero carb/ vvv lc more time?

3) Am I doing anything wrong?

4) Charles Washington insists that exercise will stop me losing weight, or make me gain. He wrote me an explanation of why, can provide if needed.

Thanks!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Weight aside, you wrote that this way of eating has cured you of sleep apnea and carpal tunnel syndrome. Whoaaa, you mean that by itself hasn't convinced you to continue???

Obviously, changes are afoot, so keep at it.

Vick is offline Senior Member

Here is a summary of a study regarding obesity-related complications and exercise done by the University of Michigan. (a couple of minutes to read)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080925072428.htm

I hope this helps. You are on course to go on one of the greatest adventures of your life.

TheNomad is offline Junior Member

First thing I have to say: Your doctor must be an ignorant of the worst kind. Telling an extremely obese, desperate patient that he's just "lazyand greedy" is of such stupidity that it hurts my eyes to read that. Don't believe a single word of such a guy.

Like dragonmamma said, you should give your body some time to adapt to this new way of eating and living. Remember, your metabolism is in a highlydamaged state and it needs some time to readjust and to learn how to use the fat stored in your fat tissues.

Go on, stay on the track and tell us about your progress. You're on the right way I think.

All the best!

Jedi is offline Member

Desperate, I want to encourge you to read Griff's journal. he is having some real success, slowly overcoming his obesity and getting his blood sugars down. it is a real inspiration.

Annika is offline Senior Member

Five weeks is not a very long time to allow your body to adjust. Give it some time.

You have already noticed some great benefits:

1. "Appetite greatly reduced, VERY easy to keep to."

2. "I feel great"

3."cleared up many health problems, from sleep apnoea to carpal tunnel"

4. "I was for 20 years a reactive hypoglycaemic but a meat diet has cured that"

Keep up the good work, and I bet you'll see more results soon.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

elasee is offline Junior Member

3) Am I doing anything wrong?

Well yes, your overeating. Period. It doesn't matter how many carbs you eat, 0 or 300, if you don't limit your total calorie intake you won't lose weight.

Jedi is offline Member

Elasee I don't think we know how many calories the OP is eating??

elasee is offline Junior Member

Elasee I don't think we know how many calories the OP is eating??

She's eating exactly the number of calories she needs to maintain her current weight, since she's hasn't lost any weight.

Jedi is offline Member

some people have amazing problems with water retention and a true weight loss can be masked for 4 to 6 weeks. Lyle McDonald and Leigh Peele have written some great articles explaining this. Or, you may be right

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast