Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help me with morbid obesity? page 2

Tarlach is offline Member

Primal Fuel
    [quote]

Well yes, your overeating. Period. It doesn't matter how many carbs you eat, 0 or 300, if you don't limit your total calorie intake you won't lose weight.
    </blockquote>

Nope. Read &#39;Good calories bad calories&#39; and the old posts in here. She&#39;s probably not eating enough calories (the fat is about right).

Some compound exercise will probably do more good than trying to cut calories.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

elasee is offline Junior Member

some people have amazing problems with water retention and a true weight loss can be masked for 4 to 6 weeks.

Yes, but she&#39;s been trying for 33 years. I&#39;m guessing there is something fundamentally wrong, like eating too much.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Ditch your doctor and find one who isn&#39;t an ignorant git, for starters. You need a doctor a) who is willing to listen to you without being a judgmental prick and b) who understands the science behind low carb.

Unfortunately, a long life history of yo-yo weight loss (up and down and up and down and UP and DOWN) can cause severe metabolic resistance and insulin resistance. You should probably read Dr. Atkins&#39; book, and the Eades&#39; book Protein Power, as well as the other ones that Mark references in his list of "books to read."

If your blood sugars are still out of whack, I would try adding several blood-sugar reducing supplements to your diet, including cinnamon, coconut oil, and fish oil. If you&#39;re already on diabetes medication, this will require coordination with your doctor as sometimes your sugars can drop precipitously from taking cinnamon and coconut oil.

Are you exercising? If not, start. Exercise helps sensitize cells to insulin, which is a major, major thing for getting whacked-out blood sugars and high insulin levels under control. Exercise, by itself, won&#39;t make you lose weight, but it will get the mechanisms of your body working better. Look on this site for information on bodyweight exercises, and get yourself some weights to work out with. Right now don&#39;t focus on aerobics - focus on weight training. That&#39;s what will build the muscle that will burn the fat.

Finally, get your focus off the scale and the tape measure. Look at more general measures of health. Are your clothes fitting better? Do you have more energy? You said you&#39;re breathing and sleeping better - hey, those are two benefits I wouldn&#39;t pass up. My first indicators that this was working was when I got in the car and my belly no longer rubbed the steering wheel - and then when I could buckle my seatbelt and there was a bit of slack in the belt for the first time in years.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep us updated on your progress - I find that having to post to these forums every day is a great way to keep me on track ("Do I want to admit that I had an entire bar of dark chocolate? No. So I won&#39;t have it").

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Desparate, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

I can&#39;t speak from the morbid obesity starting point, merely "obese." Griff is your go-to-guy for MO support in this forum. Perhaps you two should start a back channel conversation for mutual, frequent support. Griff?

As many have documented, including a recent TIME magazine story, anything more than minimal, simple exercise is counterproductive. I DO think (IMHO) that what you are doing is about right. For me, it was walking about 5-6 miles a week, thatsa, thatsa, thats all folks. After three months I&#39;m now adding some upper body exercises.

As Griff says, walking (and I presume your aquatic exercising) doesn&#39;t so much burn calories as reset your metabolism. When I was about 270 lb and I did my first "over the bridge and back twice walk" 3 miles, huffing and chuffing in the heat, I did online calorie calcs aftwards. Well, imagine my shock at finding out that I only burned 150 calories more than if I had sat here in the A/C emailing girlfriends! But I felt so much better and the weight fell off. Well, sorta fell.

Search for "Lyle McDonald."

Anyway, in terms of habits, I think you are over the hump! Habits are your greatest enemy, not the wrong foods, really. Keep it up, keep talking to us, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

PS, take some "before" pictures! I wish I had. I guess we will have to live with only my "after" shots! Woo hoo!

Desperate Guest

Thank you to everyone who responded. Thanks for the links and tips. Dragonmama, you are right. Five weeks ago I walked with a stick and my right arm was in a sling. I had three hospital appointments booked (including sleep clinic!) and I have cancelled all three! So yes, it is true that I do not have much choice other than to follow this way of eating.

It&#39;s sad and a bit insulting that Elasee is making assumptions about the number of calories I eat. Does he really believe that in 33 years of dieting I&#39;ve never heard of calorie theory and tried the starvation route?

Interestingly, when I recently recently posted this same question to the zerocarb message board and to the Atkins board, I was immediately berated on both boards for not eating enough. Carolina on the ZIOH board called me "anorexic".

I cannot simultaneously be eating too much and not enough.

My base metabolic rate has been calculated as 2,692 and on the days I do an hour&#39;s exercise in the pool it is 3,084.

I use Fitday and my intake of calories has been between 1,600 and 2,000 for a month. A typical day for me is to eat a well-marbled steak or some fatty roast pork twice a day with plenty of fat/butter. The servings depend on my level of hunger, and are either 4oz or 6oz or 8oz. If one meal is 8oz the other is 4oz, etc.

Friday night I ate an 8 oz sirloin at 8pm and from then until 5pm on Saturday (21 hours) when I had a 4oz steak, all I ate was a 2oz slice of cold pork. And that 21 hours included 90 minutes workout in the swimming pool.

There are four doctors at our surgery and I get the same stuck record from them all, even the one with the enormous stomach that rests on his legs as he lectures me on how lazy and gluttonous he ASSUMES that I am -- they have never actually asked me what I eat or how much. In the UK one is allocated to a doctor and that is that. When you walk in they have your name written at the top of a prescripton pad and pen poised ready to give you a drug for whatever you have wrong with you. Last visit the doc offered me a gastric band, or a pill that gives you "unpredictable, uncontrollable explosive diarrhoea" if you eat any fat -- not much good for someone on an 80% fat diet!

Griff -- what an exciting moment when you beely stopped rubbing the steering wheel! Wow! I am just desperate to feel one of those moments myself!

You asked about exercise: I wrote in my first post: "the only exercise I can do without pain is in the pool so I go for one hour every other day and do kicking, swimming, pilates, stretching, cycling etc. I also just started lifting 3kg weights at my desk."

As I said before, I take no drugs of any kind. I am not diabetic as my fasting blood glucose, as I said, was perfect last week.

I&#39;ve read every diet book you can imagine. I know Atkins off by heart!

I did forget to say, I take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil a day.

No my clothes are not fitting better. My measurements are exactly the same. However, something is happening to my body, but it&#39;s hard to pinpoint what it is. It&#39;s like a sort of firming up, more defined muscles in my arm, without losing any inches. Weird.

There is a bill going through parliament to allow patients to choose their own doctors. Until that law is passed (if it ever is) I cannot change doctors. But it would not do me any good, in any case, since I know of no UK doctor who believes anything other than the mantra of "calories-in-calories-out".

Thank you again.

Desperate Guest

Bayou your message appeared while I was writing mine so I only just saw it!

Thank you so much!

I have lots of "before" pics. But am feeling increasingly panic-stricken that there never will be any "after" ones!

I am NOT beautiful but my god I used to be!

Look at these two photos of my face when slim and when fat. These photos always make me cry.

This is what I USED to look like

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae329/ZC-350/1985.jpg

This is how incredibly ugly I am now

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae329/ZC-350/faceaugust2009.jpg

This is what my body used to look like when I was cycling and playing tennis

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae329/ZC-350/helenaaged15.jpg

This is me today:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae329/ZC-350/extra%20pics%20August%202009/P1010005.jpg

You can see why my name is Desperate.

Griff is offline Senior Member

Desperate: Apparently I shouldn&#39;t read stuff at six in the morning. Reading comprehension FAIL on my part.

About the doctor situation - man, that&#39;s rough. I don&#39;t know what to tell you about your doctor situation except to ignore anything he says that isn&#39;t relevant to your life. Have you had him run an insulin-level check? If not, I would - just because your BG is good doesn&#39;t mean your insulin isn&#39;t out of whack.

The firming up is the first step! Keep doing what you&#39;re doing there. I&#39;d recommend getting Dr. Bernstein&#39;s Diabetes Solution because even though you&#39;re not a diabetic, he has good information about exercise and what it does to muscles that is helpful for those of us who want to burn off fat and get efficient workouts.

Again, I wish you the best of luck, and keep us all posted.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hi, Desperate. I haven&#39;t endured your particular struggle, but I just wanted to offer a huge WELCOME to this community! I&#39;m pretty new here, myself, and have found this a generally knowledgeable and supportive group -- I hope you&#39;ll hang around a lot.

Speaking of "knowledgeable," it sounds like you&#39;ve done your homework and are on the right path. As others have said, 5 weeks isn&#39;t long to adjust after all your body has been through for the past 30 years. You&#39;re feeling better, firming up, seeing results, enjoying the lifestyle...stick with it, girl! You can do this.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Pankratos Guest

From reading through all these posts I think the one thing that hasn&#39;t been addressed is your exercise habits. Don&#39;t get me wrong you mentioned that you exercise and you seem very knowledgeable about all these topics but i think i different regimen would be more beneficial for really kick starting some weightloss and body recomposition. recomposition being the important factor in changing how your body looks and feels. You should look into strength training, and find something that you can do thats gonna stimulate some muscle growth and not just muscle exhuastion.

And also welcome to the boards! I wish you all the best success in your future health!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Pankratos, did you notice that the OP weighs 365 lbs? At that weight, merely walking around is a huge effort, and lifting weights has a huge risk of injuring her already over-burdened joints. Water exercise (which she is doing) is absolutely the best thing she can do until she sheds some weight through diet. (Which we&#39;re assuming will happen if she keeps going with the PB diet.)

Of course, Desperate, you should start pushing yourself out of your comfort zone within your water workouts. Try to do everything a little faster and with more oomph. (How&#39;s that for a scientific description?)

The next step should be a simple walking program. I highly recommend the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos, which are basic, non-intimidating workouts that you can do in front of your tv.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast