Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prosciutto page

grandma is offline Member

Shop Now

How do we feel about Prosciutto? In my search in the local mega-mart (near work) for a protein to add to my salad (no cooking is a requirement so I can prepare it at work) I came across some imported prosciutto which listed only pork and salt as ingredients. I don't know what the animals were fed.

Healthy? Primal? worth the calories?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tarlach is offline Member

Prosciutto is basically ham from the pig belly (so has more fat in it).

I don't buy the salted stuff, but I will buy raw pork belly and cook it up myself.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Grandma go for it. It is primal and healthy. And delicious. My mouth is watering.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

grandma is offline Member

you are thinking of pancetta. Prosciutto is a leg (ham) and I think it is always salted and aged for several months.

Would we consider this a primal food?

I am thinking about including it in my diet because it is a convenient food. I can keep some on hand and eat it without cooking at work. And it is minimally processed, no chemical additives or sugars or fillers that one would find in other deli meats.

Other thoughts?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tarlach is offline Member

Oops, right you are. I did mix my terms.

If you aren't worried about the salt, then it would be fine for primal.

I do worry about the salt, so I dehydrate my own meats for work snacks.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

GO FOR IT! I LOVE the stuff, and usually, you arent consuming a lot at once so the small amount would probably negate and bad stuff in it. One of my faves is prosciutto e melone. Mmmmmm.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

sammylou is offline Junior Member

i love prosciutto. it is great for breakfast. i'll have a couple slices rolled up with a couple hard boiled eggs. quick and filling combo.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Once a friend of mine smuggled a complete Boned “Bellota” Iberian Ham from Spain. Any personal attempt to describe it's deliciousness would be, at best, futile, so I'll just refrain.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

SS: i need friends like yours. Though, I did convince my friend to bring me back some goose fat from france. YUM

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Jedi is offline Member

Just been on my morning walk and down past the farmers market where I passed an Italian shop which was open (rare here on a Sunday. Nice was italian for centuries and we are half an hour from the border, anyways all this talk of prosciutto and I had to go in and buy some fresh for breakafst, along with some fresh buffalo mozzarella

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast