Thread: How do you know when you're hungry? page

dmc
    dmc is offline Senior Member

How do you know when you're hungry?

Primal Fuel
    Hello!
    I've been reading the boards and Mark's posts for the last several months and, as of Monday, I committed to the PB way of eating. Already, I'm feeling so much better! My DH is doing this as well, and he is hopeful that it will help him tame the sugar monster and also loose a few pounds.

I have what might seem like a strange question: how do you know when you're hungry? I am borderline hypoglycemic and have never eaten a ton of carbs, but more than I probably should have. When I ate like that I'd "know" that I was hungry because I'd start feeling sleepy and irritable and knew that if I didn't eat within a half an hour, I'd crash. And, I'd usually have to take a 20 minute cat nap after I ate from a post-eating crash. Already, thanks to PB, I'm not feeling those terrible symptoms, but my brain/body are unsure if I should eat at the first sign of hunger or wait until it is more intense. Does that make sense? Any thoughts people have, particularly those battling blood sugar issues, would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don’t have any blood sugar issues that I know of. I know I’m hungry when I have that empty stomach feel, however, when I do I ask myself “when is the last time you ate?” and if the answer is “x HOURS ago” then I know it’s real physical hunger, not any sort of psychological craving.

I have been at this for many months though, so now whenever I’m hungry I know it’s real. It also really helps that I mostly eat within an eating window of 1pm to 8-9pm, so I mostly get hungry around those times.

Everyone is different though, I’d say for now, as long as you’re eating real food, it’s okay to eat even if you’re unsure what type of hunger you’re experiencing.

I think eating constantly is only a problem when you’re eating bad foods… constantly. I see nothing wrong with eating good stuff (meat+veggies) more often, the cool thing is your body will NOT ask you to feed it constantly like it does on a grain heavy diet.

dmc
    Thanks, Iniquity! Your comments are helpful! The funny thing is that I've never been a snacker and I'm not a person who just eats due to stress, boredom, etc. (I have my vices, food just isn't one of them). My main purpose for doing PB is to try to control blood sugar vs. losing weight. What I'm struggling with right now is that I have this feeling that feels like hunger, but I'm not sure. I had a big breakfast (eggs, spinach, sausage) around 10, so I'm surprised I'm hungry. I guess I worry about eating too much!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Thanks, Iniquity! Your comments are helpful! The funny thing is that I've never been a snacker and I'm not a person who just eats due to stress, boredom, etc. (I have my vices, food just isn't one of them). My main purpose for doing PB is to try to control blood sugar vs. losing weight. What I'm struggling with right now is that I have this feeling that feels like hunger, but I'm not sure. I had a big breakfast (eggs, spinach, sausage) around 10, so I'm surprised I'm hungry. I guess I worry about eating too much!
    Besides sleeping and breathing, eating and drinking are the only things we really NEED to do, so worrying about it is okay within reason. Hunger can be fleeting, if you know you're fed, wait until later, simple and welcome.

dmc
    I guess that's the beauty of PB: I can wait until I get hungry and not suffer those horrific crashes@! Thanks for the welcome!
    p.s. I enjoyed reading about your DONN experiment--thank you for sharing it!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Before I started eating a high-fat diet, I had very similar symptoms. Now I don't. It is awesome.

You will definitely have to get out of the habit of eating at the first sign of hunger, and you may not need to eat as frequently either. However, it typically takes some time for your body to adapt. For the time being, I would err on the side of eating more frequently rather than less. As your body adapts and starts running on fat, you can start waiting longer and longer between meals and really learn to recognize your body's different hunger signals.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

dmc
    Thanks, theholla. (nice cats, by the way)!

I am erring on the side of eating more vs. less, but boy, it is hard to get out of that CW mindset~ I keep worrying about eating too much! But, I have been reading a lot about the PB and seeing everyone's results and it makes a lot of sense, so I just have to go with it. I am allowing myself to eat some fruit and nuts and sweet potatoes as I transition out of no grains, although in moderation. I don't eat dairy, so I do feel like I'm eating a lot of meat and veg! The veg part I love; the meat part I do too, but it is an adjustment.

ephemeral10jf is offline Member
    If I find myself wondering "Am I REALLY hungry right now or am I just craving something?" then I know I'm not actually hungry. For me, I cannot mess around with trying to decipher my feelings. When I am actually hungry, there is no doubt.

You'll find something that works for you, and it will likely be a psychological mechanism that you develop on your own, through your own experiences.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I do find it harder to tell these days. The hunger pangs are not the same. I rarely get the growling stomach. Instead I feel a little fuzzy headed or just a little off. I'm loving that I don't have to live and die by my snacks and meal times. Yesterday I got busy at work and couldn't stop to eat until after 2:00. Before, a 7 hour stint between meals would have left me deranged (just ask my husband)
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

dmc
    I hear you, shat, about being deranged after no eating for 7 hours. The hunger just sort of creeps up on me, which I guess is what it is supposed to be doing. Ephemeral, luckily, I'm not having too many cravings for anything right now (a minor miracle, give the time of the month). I think I just want to make sure I don't let myself get to that place where I am having major hunger and then am tempted to grab something carby to sate my hunger.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'll eat when I feel hungry and let time tell! Right now, DH and I aren't stepping on the scale for a month while we do our 30 days strick PB.