Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grain-Fed vs. Grass-fed, confusion. page 2

Kaizen Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm trying it out myself, honestly I just made a $22 rib eye steak (just one) that is grassfed (and grass finished) from Whole foods. Honestly I don't taste much of a difference. Not sure if I'm going to spend a check on grass fed meat if I don't taste much of a difference. eating primal is the biggest challenge, after that eating even "cleaner versions" of primal foods will help, but it's not drastic if you ask me. I'm all for clean food, but it gets rather expensive buying everything "top notch" as well.

Van Viz Guest

I agree, as a newbie to the Primal lifestyle, I'm trying to ease into it rather than going 100% right from the start. I think for now I will be getting standard beef from the local grocery store and taking fish oil to help balance my omegas.

I have yet to get into my free range chicken from a local farm...looking forward to that.

Acmebike is offline Member

Buying in bulk and freezing has fine results for me. The $avings are pretty steep when you buy a half a beef or more. And I've not found freezing to cause much flavor loss to the meat, unless it is in the freezer over a year or more. And with vacuum sealed packaging, the meat is well preserved.

And The Bear is a great guy, but his argument does fail as poindextrose pointed out, the animal is not healthy being fed grain!

But that said, as chima_p pointed out, the omega 6 ratio is not a big deal, mathematically. That's one to ponder. I know Dr Eades has mentioned that the elimination of processed foods, industrial vegetable oils, and grains from our own diet is by far the most important part of re-gaining our proper omega 6/3 balance. Supplementing and then going grass fed are just the last 5% of fine tuning it, so no need to be vapor-locked over eating some grain fed meat, even eating grain fed meat often. I trust Eades' take pretty well.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

@Chima_p and Acmebike: I hear you, and I completely agree that ditching the veg oils and grains is the priority.

On the other hand, because of issues with inflammation, I am trying to get my dietary 6:3 ratio down to between 2:1 and 1:1.

If I eat that grain-fed steak with 3.8g of omega-6, I have to take 4-7 fish oil capsules to attempt to balance it out (500mg omega-3s in each). Gulp. And I already know that taking too many fish oil capsules makes me bleed, so taking a small handful with dinner isn't gonna work.

So I think I'll be sticking with grass-fed whenever possible. And maybe I'll have to accept that a 2:1 ratio really isn't realistic for me.

musajen is offline Junior Member

chima_p - where did you get your information on the 4% PUFA in beef? Would like a resource to refer to as I contemplate incorporating less grass-fed (becoming cost prohibitive). Thanks!

Acme - if I recall correctly, you mentioned living in the Black Hills - not far from me. Where do you buy your beef?

Acmebike is offline Member

Pikala, yes, I do agree, optimizing that Omega 3/6 ratio is worth the effort. Much to consider, and I'd always rather get it naturally (grass fed meats, wild fish, etc) than needing to supplement. (Same goes for Vit D! But the reality of winter in the north means I need to supplement D3 in the winter.)

musajen, I'm in Rapid City. I've bought from these folks:

http://www.green-beef.com/

He's a great guy to deal with, and now he's also a co-owner of Crow Peak Brewery in Spearfish. So at least he's figured out what to do with all that grain that he is NOT feeding to his cattle! He's feeding it to college kids through beer kegs!

Another great local source for dairy and meat is:

www.blackhillsmilk.com they come to Rapid every Saturday. And Hogen Beef (not sure of a website) is in Belle Fourche, I think.

Plus my pal, Beau Bendigo has a few cattle each year he holds back from the feed and keeps them on the pasture to sell for local processing to folks that want the natural meats. I can put you in touch with him if you like.

Damn cold here today, eh musajen?! You in West River?

musajen is offline Junior Member

Damn cold is right! I'm in Pierre. I get out to Rapid about once every 6 months so I'll check into the resources you provided and plan to stock up the next time I'm out that way. Thanks!! Stay warm!

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Quality restaurants will only consider buying grain-fed or grain finished steaks because of the taste quality. They are considered more tender and flavorful than grass-fed.

The fact that all of your meat was previously frozen may be the reason for you liking grain-fed beef more as well.

I, however, really can taste the difference betweent he two kinds and to me grass-fed tastes much better.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

@Pikaia

Haha! If you are getting 100g of fat in a steak that is about a 24oz steak!

@musajen

I found a great resource back in August but now I can't find it. I will look a little harder (might be bookmarked) at home.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

I can't taste the difference in the steaks too much but the grass fed steaks I make are great. I do, however, notice a huge difference in the ground beef. My burgers are more like bison burgers, which I love.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast