Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MEATS you eat - help me make a list page 2

klcarbaugh Guest

Shop Now

OSTRICH!! It's my favorite, thought I've never cooked it myself. I have seen ostrich steaks frozen at a grocery shop in my home town. When I am back there again maybe I will have to pick some up and give it a whirl. Expensive if you make a mistake though.

Tarlach is offline Member

Beef and chicken organs mostly, but I'm open to trying all sorts.

We have been experimenting with a lot of things we would never have tried years ago.

ie. We tried pigs ears the other day. They didn't come out very well and I wasn't a fan.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

NicoB is offline Senior Member

Oh boy! It's time to make some of you squirm.

For the record, I get almost all my meats from the butcher, halal butcher, fishmonger, charcuterie (processed meats), and the bird guy (he's got everything from domesticated, to wild fowl (when in season)) at the saturday morning market in my hometown.

Red Meat: Beef, porc, lamb, goat, ostrich (blah), horse (blah), wild boar (in season, near christmas), venison.

Fowl (Poultry is just chicken isn't it?): Chicken, duck, goose, turkey (smaller farm raised, not those monsters I saw at Thanksgiving in the US), quail, pigeon, coquelet (little chicker), chapon (neutered rooster), feasant (in season).

Fish/Seafood: Uhmmm... The whole sushi bar? Add oysters, clams, mussels, lobster, crab, crawfish, shrimp (all sizes).

*Side Note: For those of you who say you don't eat bugs. If you like shrimp, crab, or lobster... It's a sea bug. Same great granddaddy as the cucaracha.

Reptiles/Amphibians: Frog legs

Organ meat: I like the "nasty bits." Basically it all gets eaten in my world. Granted something are "every once in awhile" like blood sausage (only in winter, and probably only once or twice a year), or andouille (not the Louisiana sausage, the one from Troy in France).

Other (insects? anything else?): Escargot.

One last thing. I personally believe that humans should try everything at least once in their life (things like crack, or robbing a bank aren't what I'm talking about).

Or better yet...

They should try it once, and once again shortly thereafter to make sure (if) they don't like it (a different chef might make it enjoyable the second time). And they should repeat the process if they can't remember the flavor or sensation of what they've tried in the past (personally I'm always looking for a new brussels sprouts recipe, since every time I try them YUCK!)

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

This is totally fun! I must admit I am a total sausage fan - blood sausage, too. YUM!

Poultry: Roast chicken is my fave. I love turkey, too, but hate making it. Commercial birds are so huge I'm never sure when it's done but it tastes good. Duck is excellent as well - sauteed duck breast is delish!

Red meat: lamb is my fave, especially kabobs make from the leg & marinated in garlic, rosemary, mustard & olive oil. I do eat a lot of beef & steak on the grill is one of my faves. Really like stew, too. I do like game, but it's hard to get here. Piggy in all it's forms, too. Love the piggy - especially bacon. I've tried rabbit, too. That's good but very hard to find now.

Fish/Seafood: Haddock, cod - pretty much any cold water fish - scallops and sashimi. Not so much on the lobsters & fresh water fish. My kids love fish, too. They'd eat it every day if we could afford it!

Reptiles/Amphibians: I've tried alligator, but wasn't too keen on it.

Organ meat: love chicken liver pate. Yum! Before I went primal, one of our family favorites was steak & kidney pie (with bacon, of course!). It's so delicious! This winter I think I'll morph the recipe into a stew. That'll be tastey.

Other (insects? anything else?): haven't adventured here much. Did try snails once. Didn't like the texture or the (lack) of flavor.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help.

grandma is offline Member

stuff I've had (that I can think of) of the less obvious nature. I am yet to find an animal I don't like.

poultry: quail, pheasant, duck, ostrich

Red Meat: Buffalo, lamb, goat, venison

Rept/Amph: frog, aligator

Sea food: sea urchin, roe, squid

Other: snails, the worm in the bottom of a tequila bottle

I can't wait to see DR's list!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

gregandbeaker is offline Junior Member

Poultry: Duck, pheasant

Red Meat: Buffalo, Beef

Rept: Alligator rarely

Sea food: Salmon, trout, cod, tilapia

Mostly salmon and buffalo though!

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone! These lists are GREAT.

I forgot to put venison on mine (yum). Husband is hoping to get a deer over the holidays, but then... not sure how we'd ship it across the country. Maybe he can find somewhere to hunt in California.

Anyone else?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

My list-

Poultry: Chicken, Turkey, duck, either partridge or quail (posh restaurant meal years ago), ostrich (v nice)

Meat: Beef, lamb, goat, pork, rabbit, bison (as a burger - nice), venison. Would try horse and other herbivores; not so sure about eating carnivores.

Fish/Seafood: Most kinds of fish that have been available - standard salmon, tuna, mackeral, hake, plaice, sole, colin..... Didn't like kippers though! And can live without shellfish though have had prawns, shrimp, mussels, scallops (actually v nice). Oh, crab, squid, octopus, and cuttlefish too.

Reptile: None (yet...)

Organ meat: Have tried haggis, it was ok but traditional recipe uses pearl barley etc. Ox heart, tongue, and tail are all nice. Have attempted chicken livers and rabbit offal but not impressed!

Other: Ordered and ate chicken feet by mistake (chinese restaurant!) - alright. Couldn't face the duck feet though!

Mixed meat: Sausages, esp Chorizo. There are brands that boast 97% pork but I've yet to check if the other 3% is wheat rusk

NON-MEAT: Anyhting "formed" or "reformed" or tinned. I wish I didn't like the taste of hotdogs, the pink mush flecked with lumps of cartilage is disgusting yet addictive.

Bernard Matthews is a serial offender - "TURKEY HAM"?!?!?!? Some satanic combination of pig and poultry with added dextrose and water. Again, shame it actually tastes nice (although nothing like either turkey OR ham)

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

I understand you're looking for some unusual examples, correct?

Poultry: I love baked chicken necks; I can suck on those little bones forever. Weird? Tasty!

I also like hearts and livers.

Beef: I love marrow bones, particularly the bone marrow itself. I always get so excited when I find a place I can buy one. I make nice bone broth and then just suck all the goodness out of it.

Fish: Where I come from, caviar is considered to be one of the great delicacies. My favorite one is red caviar. I also love raw salt-cured salmon because it's extremely tender and basically melts in your mouth.

Is this good?

Griff is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Poultry: Chicken, mostly thighs and breasts (skin and bone included, of course!)

Red meat: Steak! Flank steak, ribeye steak, steak tips, the occasional sirloin. Pork - mostly fresh-made (not cured) sausage and bacon, but also the occasional roast or ham. We'll also get lunch meats - mostly ham and roast beef.

Fish/Seafood: Not much. My husband hates all seafood except fried shrimp, which I can't make and which has breading. I'll have the occasional shrimp scampi when we go out to eat.

Reptiles/Amphibians: No. Although when I was a kid at camp, the camp directors caught a huge rattlesnake, and we had rattler soup that night. I think I've blocked out the memory of how it tasted, though.

Organ meat: Eeew. No!

Other (insects? anything else?): Nothing else. I guess I'm pretty boring when it comes to meat choices.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast