Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foraging today in Florida page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

On my beach walk, there were lots of coconuts compared to the usual several. I'm thinking that maybe the recent very high tides have washed some out of yards or something. About fifty miles north of here is the northern limit, and the current comes from the north. I thought about picking up a few, but then I'm confronted with the usual problem: How to get that brown skin off of the meat.

This afternoon, over to Dave's to get eight carambolas. I expect to use them tomorrow to make salsa with them as maba suggested.

Then down to the roadside avocado tree in the other direction. Nothing on the ground, but a lot of those big alligator pears hanging, ripening. Should be good in about a month.

I'm debating going over to another by-the-sidewalk fruit, the prickly pear. I'm not sure what to make of this carb analysis. If it ain't dietary fiber, and there are no sugars (really?) what's left? Can anyone explain?

http://tinyurl.com/muv2wq

Towards answering my own question about the carbs, I found this: http://www.expertfoods.com/FAQ/labelvalues.php

While it may explain, it does nothing for the consumer.

LittleTom34 Guest

Hmmm... Florida, current from the north puts you on the Gulf side.... 50 miles south of the limit for coconuts.... I think that puts you somewhere between Punta Gorda and Sarasota. Venice, maybe?

grandma is offline Member

OTB, you need one of these

http://grocerythai.com/coconut-grater-seat-p-755.html

foraging for coconuts and avocados is WAY foreign to me, that is so cool.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tom, a good geographer. Sarasota.

As to the grater, I guess the first trick is to get two halves instead of lots of chunks. Like I have.

Maybe I'll grab one in a day or two and see what I can do with an axe.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

ok Starfruit...found it at the store today and wouserssssssss they are $3 each and very tiny..how do you eat these? do you peel them? they better be darn good for that price? xoox Darlene

Katt is offline Senior Member

Wash them and eat them whole, PrimalGoddess. You eat the skin. I find them to be a little bland, but not bad.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

LittleTom34 Guest

There's a winery just down the road from here that makes a starfruit wine. Pretty good stuff. A little sweet, though.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

really whole? it seemed a bit waxy on the outside? I wonder if the produce guy would let me take a bite of it before I buy it (lol) oxox Darlene

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The skin should be smooth, but naturally it is not waxy. But at the SAD grocery, who knows. Eat the whole thing.

As they go into over-ripen mode, the edges will start to turn dark brown. Still very edible, but you don't want one where the brown has moved from the edges to the body. You can cut the brown off and the rest is still good, but that's not something you want to do at $3!! Oh, yeah, eat the seeds, they are nothing. (Or plant them???)

According to the nutritional data, there is very little sugar, which is why they are not real sweet like so many fruit. Tasty, pretty much, but not sweet.

I'll probably be trying a salsa today. Since they aren't real juicy, I'll probably just dice them, some jalapeno, and green onion up and put the ingredients on my eggs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast