Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Produce page 2

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Imported produce is tested at random. If banned products are found the entire shipment has to be destroyed or returned to the country of origin. Been there, done that as an importer.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Toad, do you ever read your Costco Connection magazine? They've had articles focusing on specific food items. As I recall, their tomatoes and bell peppers are grown in hot houses in Canada.
    Nope. New members. I will have to pick one up!

The produce we buy is NOT organic due to our financial position. Avocados are fine due to its thick skin. But tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. are a different story. I think I will be fine for now as I plan on buying more organic foods and/or moving to a warmer place with more local produce soon.

It was just a thought that was running across my mind for a while. Thanks for everyones input!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    Nope. New members. I will have to pick one up!

It was just a thought that was running across my mind for a while. Thanks for everyones input!
    You don't pick it up; it comes automatically in the mail with your membership. I like holding an actual magazine in my hands, but I believe you can also read it on-line. Maybe they have archives with those articles? I don't know, I've never looked.

Sal Craules is offline Junior Member

Mexico Produce, SAFE 100%

I hope your comment don't be racist, how you feel about your local produce, crop are made by mexican people, the same control are by the mexican producers like the usa producer when you import produce are under your country´s control, control pest, quality standar, everything like your goverment request...
    Don´t be racist

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to remember the source of a permaculture video I recently saw pointing out how the Mexican Agricultrual Authorities are against GMO foods and trying to protect and preserve their heritage crops from GMO polution. One would assume that line of thinking would carry over to other clean food practices, at least from the producers who are on board with it.

The tomatoes, asparagus and avacados in my kitchen right now are all from Mexico. Oh well, at least the artichokes are from good ol' Castroville, CA.

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean_OToole View Post
    There are more complete lists of foods to buy organic available online.
    It`s called the dirty dozen
    I try to buy local...meaning within 100 mile radius of where I live
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I eat lots of good produce from Mexico and other Caribbean countries.

Locally I wouldn't have much choice especially in the cold winter. The local produce is often more expensive.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    I live in Michigan and thus all the produce we buy must be imported from other states... or COUNTRIES! I have been paying attention to where are produce is coming from and guess what?! Most of it is from MEXICO!

Tomatoes, avocados, bell peppers, etc. is from Mexico.

How would you feel about eating produce from Mexico? Safe to eat?

We buy from Costco and Meijer - the famous supermarket in the midwest.
    As a Canadian, I have to tell you that I feel wary of buying American produce, what with your GMO crops and your death-spinach.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    It seems a lot of US produce is recalled here in Canada.

I've never had a CFIA warning about Mexican produce.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I ate lots of local produce in Mexico in January, and I was fine (I am also not afraid to eat in other countries than my own...shocking!). We get a lot of produce from Mexico here, but I don't buy it generally--I don't like my food to be shipped that far because I'm concerned about nutrition loss and the environmental impact of shipping food that far. I will buy a few imports, like avocados and bananas, but only fair trade organic ones since I don't like people suffering for my food.

Otherwise, I eat locally and seasonally most of the time, with some frozen vegetables to add a little variety over our stupidly long winters. A steady diet of root veg gets a bit dull after a few months, even if it is from my local farmers market. I can get local hothouse tomatoes and peppers through much of the year, but over the midwinter period, even those are unavailable because the days are too short for the plants to produce.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast