Thread: Is this a "low carb flu" or am I just ill? page

Shawnamarie is offline Member

Is this a "low carb flu" or am I just ill?

Hi all,

My husband and I started primal eating on January 3rd and now 9 days later I am into my second day of a stubborn flu. I've got a runny nose, cough, fatigue, and a fever of about 101.5. Yesterday it was at 100 and it's been going up steadily.

Could this be the "low carb flu" I've read about or is it more likely that I'm just sick? I'm probably eating under 75 carbs each day and eating mostly eggs, meat, veggies, nuts, a bit of fruit, and a bit of dark chocolate.

Just curious.

Thanks,
    Shawna

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I am not entirely sure as I never experienced the low carb flu. But I would say you are ill if you have a temp of 101.5. It seems as if going low carb would not produce a fever that high.

But, I could be wrong. Wait to see what the other replies are - especially from others who have suffered from the low carb flu.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Low carb flu is not actually a flu, it's just a slang term for feeling like shit.

You are sick, my good madame.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    I have had a few really bad bouts of low carb flu but that sounds like it might be a virus you've contracted. It seems every time I start a healthy regimen I get sick not long after (sometimes things get worse before they get better). It's uncanny. I started primal about 7 weeks ago. A couple of weeks in, I got strep throat. I avoided a low carb flu type situation this time with slowly weaning myself from carbs, but I had it so bad one time I was convinced I would have a major cardiac event and die. I remember lying on the couch in agony thinking, "Is this what crack heads go through?" Day 3 was always the absolute worst for me when I quit starchy carbs cold turkey.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Shawnamarie is offline Member
    Thanks, all. I wonder if the transition in diet simply made me susceptible to something I was already exposed to.

Shat, that's interesting that you mention the cardiac event incident. Leading up to this illness I had some major anxiety that started at about day 3 or 4 and then had a near panic attack the morning before my fever struck. That's really unusual for me and it didn't seem circumstantial.

Alas. Either way, I've just got to ride it out. Hello, couch.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup. i suggest one of my favorite recipes by Grow Your Own Drugs-guy James Wong: Chicken and goji berry soup.

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, it was sort of like a panic attack after my heart starting beating wildly. I seriously was thinking, "If I don't eat some carbs, I'm gonna die!" It is frustrating to feel bad when you are trying to do everything right but it will pass. Best wishes as you work your way through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnamarie View Post
    Thanks, all. I wonder if the transition in diet simply made me susceptible to something I was already exposed to.

Shat, that's interesting that you mention the cardiac event incident. Leading up to this illness I had some major anxiety that started at about day 3 or 4 and then had a near panic attack the morning before my fever struck. That's really unusual for me and it didn't seem circumstantial.

Alas. Either way, I've just got to ride it out. Hello, couch.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl