Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a Died in the Wool Carnivore be Primal? page

Longplay is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Can a Died in the Wool Carnivore be Primal?

Primal Fuel
    Along with many people starting the new year with new resolve, I'm trying to finally get serious about losing weight and getting fit. I just want to feel better physically and mentally.

However, one of the things that's always stopped me on most programs is that I'm a life-long carnivore who plain-old does not like salad. It seems that every nutritional guide or cookbook I see assumes everyone is a salad eater and if they're not, that they just have to become one. This gives me an excuse to quit before I even start. Well, to be honest, I just use it as an excuse. If this old dog can't be taught new tricks - and I'm pretty sure he can't after 57 years - what am I to do? Is there a less green-intensive regimen that can work - other than starvation?

Diana Renata is online now Senior Member
    1) Yes, you can be Primal without eating a ton of veggies. I do it more or less seasonally. (Winter tends to be more carnivore.) However, they ARE good for you, so with that I have to say...

2) Suck it up and eat your vegetables. Seriously. I don't get grown people who can't eat a few green things once in a while.

Not trying to be rude, snarky or a b*tch. Just a little pet peeve of mine. You don't have to eat salad every day. Hell, you don't have to eat salad at all. I like my veggies cooked more often than not.

When it comes right down to it, you don't have to do anything, but you can choose to be Primal, and eat meat and veggies and be healthy. Your call.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    2) Suck it up and eat your vegetables. Seriously. I don't get grown people who can't eat a few green things once in a while.
    agreed. also, your veggies don't have to be salad. in the warmer months i'm nuts for salad, but this time of year i'm craving warmer foods. i toss a little spinach, zucchini, garlic and butter or bacon fat in a pan and cook them up. a few minutes later, i am in heaven. there are tons of ways to make your veggies less veggie-like...experiment a bit and you'll find something that works for you.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Learn to eat your veggies. Start with one a day if you have to. Steam some broccoli and add a fair amount of butter or coconut oil or lard. If you have trouble liking broccoli then try a different veggie.

Cook spinach in coconut oil... this is VERY mild, VERY nutritious, shrinks when you cook it and is a GREAT start to LOVING veggies.

Go for it! What do you have to lose?!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I am a 47 year old salad newbie. I've only eaten salad in the past year or so. Here's the unconventional trick that works best for me:

Take salad and put it as a layer on your plate
    Heap lots of hot meat on top of it.
    Works best with a stew, so that the sauce flavors the salad

That way it wilts slightly. Over time I'm eating more and more salad and tolerating it with less sauce. Not to loving it yet, but I think it's possible (which I would have denied a year ago!)

Everyone has always said to me "just use salad dressing". I don't like most salad dressings and I don't (didn't?) like the crunch of raw salad, so that approach didn't work. I'm glad I stumbled upon something that worked for me. Keep experimenting...you'll find a way.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Butter makes just about any vegetable taste good. If that fails, try bacon grease. Think of veggies as vehicles for delicious, delicious fat.

I'm going to third sucking it up and eating your veggies. There is a world of different vegetables out there, and an infinite way of preparing them. I'm sure you can find some you like!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean carnivore? Do you eat anything besides meat, and if so what?

Also, if you want to avoid eating vegetables then start eating organ meats (particularly liver) to make up for it.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Try blending veggies up with lots of fats and a few spices to make delicious thick sauces for your meat (I used coconut milk, olive oil, tomatoes, onion and garlic with some curry spices tonight and it was amazing). Also Onions caramelized in butter are good on pretty much anything.

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I like my "Salad" cooked in pork fat. I'll eat a salad on occasion, but usually I cook my veggies, and always with stock, fat, wine or all of the above.

Focus on the elimination of the negative first - Grains, Legumes, Some dairy, Extra alcohol. Your body will tell you what you need.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I rarely eat salad. Most of my veggies are cooked or I eat cole slaw, celery & carrot sticks.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast