Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweetners, sugar cravings and fruit? page 2

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    would squash (like butternut squash of pumpkin) be better sweet options (over fruit) if I decide to give into my cravings?

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, but that just might feed the cycle. It's hard at first, but if you reaaally stick with it, you can kill the cravings.

ani
    ani is offline Senior Member
    I have little faith in ever killing the cravings... I'm going to once again stay off fruit for as long as possible hopefully more than 3 days this time and eat fatty foods or squash (if fat doesn't work) when I have cravings. I wonder if there could be a hormonal aspect of cravings as well? since my hormones are most likely out of wack. Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna give it another shot

lexsi340 is offline Senior Member
    Same problem here.. Is there a way to get the fruit out of the house? The cravings may be awful - but after 3 days, they should be gone.
    (I unfortunately do not have access to removing it from my house... but cold turkey IS the only way to do it..)

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Yeah it should take 3 or 4 days, maybe 6 or so at the most, to get through the withdrawal.

I try to keep fruit to after meals as it reduces the impact and stops it messing with my blood sugar. If I eat it between meals an hour later I will be starving hungry!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it can take a few weeks to get rid of sugar cravings guys. Chromium, caprylic acid, olive leaf extract and probiotics will help.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ani View Post
    I have little faith in ever killing the cravings...
    As long as you keep thinking they can't be killed, you won't kill them. Look, you're feeding a sweet tooth every time you eat something sweet or starchy or carby. The only way to stop that is to STOP. Feed the cravings with fat and they will eventually go away.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    As long as you keep thinking they can't be killed, you won't kill them. Look, you're feeding a sweet tooth every time you eat something sweet or starchy or carby. The only way to stop that is to STOP. Feed the cravings with fat and they will eventually go away.
    This is so true, I've always been a person with a terrible sweet tooth, but I decided to control it so I can indulge when I want to without going crazy. What'd I do? I quit eating fruit and starchy vegetables and I'm doing just great.

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    You have to face it like any addiction. Nicotine, heroine, anything. Just don't do it! You don't see smokers successfully quit by having one every once in a while, when the cravings get so bad they can't take it. Whether you have your fruit now or not, you'll still crave again. It's not like eating that apple will stop the cravings for a couple of weeks. Just push through. People climb mount Everest, Alcoholics quit drinking, smokers quit smoking. Just don't eat sugar.
    Strong is the new Skinny!

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    You don't see smokers successfully quit by having one every once in a while, when the cravings get so bad they can't take it. Whether you have your fruit now or not, you'll still crave again. It's not like eating that apple will stop the cravings for a couple of weeks. Just push through. People climb mount Everest, Alcoholics quit drinking, smokers quit smoking. Just don't eat sugar.
    A lot of former addicts just switch to overeating, though. The biochemical and nutritional deficiencies that drive addiction don't just go away, the person just finds a less harmful substance to regulate them with. A lot of ex-alcoholics and drug addicts ultimately become, unfortuantely, sugar addicts. Sugar is kind of a bedrock addiction for our society.

I do think that you can do a few things, though.

You can try cold turkey. I wonder about the success rate for this. But I do see a lot of long-timers saying that they successfully ketoadapted and now their bodies no longer are hooked on carbs. And that's pretty cool, so this is an option.

But you could also try harm reduction. You could try that before and between cold turkey attempts, which means that even if you struggle, you're never really going to be having SUGAR. My experience is that you can get rid of sugar with fruit. Granted, these are still carbs, you can definitely still overeat and be hooked on fruit. But it's still never going to hurt you as much as sugar does. Sugar is really really nasty stuff.

But it's an individual decision whether to say that all carbs are bad or that the difference in harm matters. Both are true on some level.

In my case, I struggle with carb problems a LOT. But even I could- and often do- just eat fruit only. I've gone years with no sugar. Fruit is still carbs, it still can easily cause problems, but even someone as carb intolerant as me is profoundly better off abusing fruit than abusing sugar in terms of harm done to my body as a result.

(And yeah, it sounds silly to say 'abusing fruit'.. but carbs are carbs. )

I have this sense that it's kind of a hardwired problem with the human body. We just don't have much biological regulation in terms of sweets. We were never meant to cope with these super-nasty ultra-concentrated hyper-uber-carbs. We were meant to find a handful of berries now and then, and maybe the occasional bee hive. And that's like what, ONE crazy carb binge per year? Or less?

So no matter what, it's a problem and I almost wonder if you just have to find a good-enough solution you can live with. I think it's hard to kill it with a silver bullet, but there's a lot of little stuff you can do to improve the situation.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast