Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going half-paleo still useful? What if I'm already fit on a sugary diet? page

Mqrius is offline Junior Member

Going half-paleo still useful? What if I'm already fit on a sugary diet?

Shop Now
    Hi there

I've recently stumbled across the whole paleo thing, and I've been considering giving it a go, but I have some questions. Look at the bottom if you don't want to read a lot of text.

My 'backstory':
    I'm a university student, 23 years old, 178 cm (5'10"), ~60 kg (132 lbs), and rather fit (can do pull-ups fine). I'm definitely not obese, more like skinny rather. Nevertheless, I feel pretty fit, and don't really pay too much attention to what I eat. I'm one of those people who can eat loads of stuff without gaining weight.

I've my blood pressure checked a while ago, and it was a bit low, but I don't notice any ill effects really. The doctor also told me "Usually I tell people to be careful with their fat intake, but you can eat a little extra now and then". It's a bit strange, because I don't really skimp on fat or anything. I like meat, I like butter, and I like sweet stuff (actually, I even like eating sugarcubes. Burn me at the stake :P)

Considering this, I was wondering what use paleo might be for me. Various posts seem to have paleo as a fix for nigh everything, so I guess I might expect a bit more muscle, and no acne, and perhaps higher blood pressure, although that's kind of a fix for problems I don't have yet.

Next, I've thought about what paleo would entail for me. I live in a dorm with ample cooking facilities, and usually one guy cooks for 5 to 10 people. Getting everyone to cook paleo for me is a no-go, but I guess I could try cooking on my own for a month or so, and if I like it, keep doing it.

As a university student though, my key criteria are cheap and easy. I'm not going to buy organic meat, but just get some stuff from the supermarket. I suppose I could get cod liver pills from the internet (the local supermarket only seems to have vitamin D + Calcium pills), and occasional fasting will not be a problem (the trick is just doing something else which is more interesting than making a meal).

I'll sleep enough whenever I can, but I won't shun a party. I also will keep drinking beer socially. If I'm going to eat nuts they're going to be salted cashew nuts. Short bursts of intense activity are already in my life (occasional pull-ups, or cycling fast to avoid being late for class :P). Changing my regular continental breakfast to something heavy will be no problem at all. I like heavy english breakfasts, and even if I never go paleo, I'll probably start doing that occasionally right now :P

So yeah, I'd like to try paleo, but not absolutely rigidly. Will it still be of use, then? Would I lose my amazing capacity to eat half a pie in a day and not really notice? (:P)

In the Netherlands the food commonly offered is a bit different. We don't really have a lot of bacon (rashers) on offer. We have something called "spek" which is similar but not as varied as the bacon offered in for example Ireland. Same goes for sausages, while available, they're not really varied or anything. We do have minced meat, both in just beef, or 50/50 beef/pork, and various parts of chicken. I've never seen coconut milk, but I'll keep an eye out for it. Vegetables may differ here and there, but I don't expect problems there.

As you see I've been reading here and there about paleo, and may have a bit of a chaotic view on it. If you have any tips, ideas, corrections, whatever, please let me know. For some more concrete questions, see the next bit:

tl;dr:
    Will going paleo only halfway still be useful?
    Can I expect to see some results, and if so, what?
    For people familiar with typical Dutch foods; what are good basic paleo foods in the Netherlands?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    Well... I don't have much to add other than that up until my early 20's years old I was skinny and in pretty shape too, I ate pretty much the epitome of the SAD/CW diet... at about your age now that all started to change and I started ballooning... I'm losing weight now on PB..

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Its not entirely about losing weight or getting more fit. It's also about STAYING lean and fit AND healthy. In my opinion any step toward a diet that consists of lots of fresh veggies and fruit, enough protein and some good fats is a step in the right direction. Even if you feel fine eating a half a pie in a day, eventually that will catch up with you if you do that enough. Diabetes, weight gain or heart disease are the 3 big ones to worry about. So yeah. Try cooking for yourself for a month. When you do, try to buy whole fresh ingredients rather than stuff that come in a can or box. Avoid things with an ingredients list basically! And then don't worry about it. If right now it's important to you to go to the party and drink beer then go to the party and drink beer. Just don't drive afterwards!

Ah yes, I've been told that at some point my metabolism will probably change, but that doesn't seem to be any time soon.
    I'm doing the SAD/CW + pizza when I'm lazy diet :P

On an unrelated note, I've considered going no shampoo like the free the animal guy, but probably not anytime soon. I'm currently trying to improve my mindset & looks (the reasoning being better looks causes more confidence + better mindset causes more smiling, outgoing nature causes being more liked, socially active and felling better in general), and 2 weeks of greasy hair, and no hair styling products just won't do right now. I'm not vain, but I won't deny the benefits of looking good.

Noctiluca: I agree that changing my diet to paleo will probably be healthier, also in the long run. But I worry that I might not want to put up the effort if there's not enough real improvements over my current condition.
    Fresh things are usually more expensive I believe, regarding meat anyway...

Edit: I'm not trying to ignore paleo guidelines or anything, I'm just being realistic in myself. I'm going to want to keep eating some of the stuff I like, I won't want to spend a lot of money on it, and I don't want it to change my normal habits too much. If I can't have those things, I probably won't be able to keep it up, because the benefits might not be enough to counteract the costs...
    Last edited by Mqrius; 01-12-2011 at 03:34 PM.

How about optimum health in the long run? You won't be able to eat this way forever w/o some consequenc. Save yourself some pain later (not to be too pessimistic, I believe that stuff catches up to you) and try paleo/primal now. Be careful of sausage though. I'm living in the UK and all sausages have added rusk or corn as a filler. In the U.S., most sausages are free of this.

Good luck!

Cara
    http://primroseandpaleo.wordpress.com

You're right, of course. Long term health is a pretty important benefit. But similar to procrastination, where you put off something that would be better to do now, it helps if there are immediate results.

I'll actually probably try paleo for a while, but I'm trying to judge how strict I need to be for it to really show results. If I try it half-heartedly, and after a month I see no results, that would be pretty useless. So I'm wondering if the general idea I have sketched in the first post would be sufficient to get actual benefits. If it would, that would probably inspire me to 'go even more paleo'.

About sausages; I think the dutch ones are relatively wheat-free...

Quick question about butter: Is margarine fine to use as butter? Or should I get like cream butter or something?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    when i look at primal elders (primal folks over the age of 60 and 70) who have been doing primal for a while (before they turned 50), they look *ridiculously* younger than non-primal/paleo counterparts.

being vain, that's enough for me.

then, i tried it, and, well, it worked.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    margerine is horrible for you. abandon it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Most all of us were healthy at your age, dude. The question is, how much healthier could you be if you did full paleo? You don't know the answer to that. I went to the doctor last year with a long list of whines: headaches, joint pains, blah blah. He was like, yeah, you're getting old. That's how it is. Now: nothing. Basically perfect health. I feel better and have a better bod at 39 than I did at 19. How will you feel? Find out. What do you have to lose?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Couple of clarifications:
    Margarine is horrible for you and tastes like shite. Buy butter. Don't care if you are doing SAD or Paleo.
    Seriously, if you are already healthy and young and you start eating properly, you could end up ridiculously buff pretty easily. You probably won't ever need to do the super-low carb thing, or be super strict, either. Natural foods, plenty of protein, easy on the sugar, avoid anything that came through a factory on its way to your table. Simple rules.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast