Thread: Sprinting & nutrition page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Sprinting & nutrition

Shop Now
    I've been sprinting once every two weeks or so for the past two or three months, and I'm a little unsure about the nutritional aspect of it. I usually sprint for 30 to 40 seconds and walk briskly for about a minute. I do this about six times. I'll wait an hour or so before eating, and when I do, I'll usually have a smoothie or a tuna/egg salad. I'm a very thin and active male, and I'm currently looking to build some mass.

Any advice?

Thanks! :]

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you want to build mass, you will probably have to do so by lifting heavy things more than sprinting. Do you at least put protein powder in your smoothie?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I put protein powders in my smoothies when I do lifting, which I do three times a week for fifteen to twenty minutes. I'm happy with my results so far. After sprinting, however, I wasn't sure if it would be better to increase carbohydrate intake or protein intake. My thinking was that an occasional sprint will encourage HGH production and thus help to build muscle -- is this wrong?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Per Phil Campbell's Sprint 8 program, sprints will give you a muscular sprinter body. See Mercola's video. (Yes, I know Mercola is sort of a nut but this makes sense.) But you have to do it two or three times per week. Eight sets of 30 second balls to the wall sprinting and 90 seconds of recovery. if you can do it more than two or three times a week, you are not doing it hard enough.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Try some variation when engaging your major muscle groups. Do some squats, pullups, dips, pushups, and burpees. Those should help with HGH production and putting on some mass. Lift hard for 20 minutes 2-3 times a week. I am pretty sure if you incorporate that with your sprint routine you will see some pretty good results.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    To build mass you should do a lot of heavy lifting and stuff your face with food, especially protein. That's my scientific recommendation.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Per Phil Campbell's Sprint 8 program, sprints will give you a muscular sprinter body. See Mercola's video. (Yes, I know Mercola is sort of a nut but this makes sense.) But you have to do it two or three times per week. Eight sets of 30 second balls to the wall sprinting and 90 seconds of recovery. if you can do it more than two or three times a week, you are not doing it hard enough.
    I don't have a fancy-shmancy Mercola subscription and I can't get rid of his dumb face in front of the video. Can you explain how sprinting develops my biceps?
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    I put protein powders in my smoothies when I do lifting, which I do three times a week for fifteen to twenty minutes. I'm happy with my results so far. After sprinting, however, I wasn't sure if it would be better to increase carbohydrate intake or protein intake. My thinking was that an occasional sprint will encourage HGH production and thus help to build muscle -- is this wrong?
    Forget sprinting and do a complex instead.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    I don't have a fancy-shmancy Mercola subscription and I can't get rid of his dumb face in front of the video. Can you explain how sprinting develops my biceps?
    LOL. It triggers growth hormone. Since you are an adult, you won't get taller. it will be a healthy way to get what some athletes get through illegal means. Google Sprint 8.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.