Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Smoothies? page

Twibble is offline Senior Member

Green Smoothies?

Primal Fuel
    Do they fit in with the primal plan, or no? I've been having them for breakfast every day.

Mine are typically:
    1 1/2 c. spinach
    1/4 c. frozen pineapple/peach
    1 tsp. lemon CLO
    A little water

I'm going to start adding a bit of coconut oil to them and see what that does to the texture.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Its not bad but if you are trying to lose weight I would recommend swapping pineapples/peaches for blueberries. Pineapples and peaches have a higher glycemic load than most fruits and carry a lot of fructose which can make weight loss harder.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Its not bad but if you are trying to lose weight I would recommend swapping pineapples/peaches for blueberries. Pineapples and peaches have a higher glycemic load than most fruits and carry a lot of fructose which can make weight loss harder.
    Very true, that would make the shake perfect, I would also definitely go with the coconut milk

That's probably why I like them. I'm not specifically going for losing weight, but I think I might be anyways. I should probably start using blackberries (I don't like blueberries unless they're in forbidden foods ) just so there's less sugar.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreo View Post
    Very true, that would make the shake perfect, I would also definitely go with the coconut milk
    I have a can in the pantry, I'll try it out.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    I also consume a Green Smoothie a day, or every other day.

Your Green Smoothie looks super Primal to me . I add Protein Powder to mine, which I know isn't "Primal", but it's much less acidic than a breakfast of eggs and bacon and I'm trying to Alkalize my body.

Be sure to use Fitday or something to chart the carbs in your smoothies. If your goal is weight loss, you might want to switch to a lower carb berry. Blueberries are delish. Though 1/4 cup isn't that much, so I don't know how worried I would be. If you're losing weight and consuming these bad boys keep doing what you're doing!

Here's my newest Green Smoothie creation. Best one I've ever had. Ever.

-1/2 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    -1 cup Ice
    -Big Huge Handful of Spinach
    -1.5 Scoops Protein Powder
    -1/2 Scoop Amazing Greens Chocolate Superfood
    -1/8 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
    -Dash Cinnamon
    -1 TB Xylitol Sweetened Maple Syrup (Not sure if this is primal because it's "fake", but my body can't take regular Maple Syrup)
    -1 TB Almond Butter
    -1.5 TB Salba

Dang. Now that I look at that it's a lot of ingredients. But if you ever have any of them on hand I encourage you to try them out . That's the beauty of a green smoothie. There's so much mixing and matching to do!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Any suggestions on greens besides spinach? Arugula is too spicy.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Spinach, kale, cabbage, turnip greens, beet greens....
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    ...any kind of lettuce with a smattering of fresh herbs like basil, mint or parsley, watercress... I really like fresh watercress with strawberries, but I suppose if you find arugula too spicy, watercress might be a bit much.

I'm trying to cut back a bit on the whey powder in my smoothies - apart from anything else, it's stunningly expensive - and I'm looking for other ways to get a decent amount of protein in there. Egg yolks, nut butters, liquid whey from homemade yoghourt, ground linseeds... anything else? (It'd be simpler just to eat bacon & eggs, wouldn't it?)

OOooooooh. I have a large amount of dried mint that I'd bought to make mint syrup with. I bet I can add it to my smoothies (they normally sit for about 20 minutes before I drink them because I make them before I leave, then carry them with me to work).

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast