Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I Be Feeling This Guilty For Not Eating My Veggies? page 2

Griff is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

@erstad17: That works fine, unless you're a diabetic who has to severely restrict carbohydrates (even the "good" ones). If my carbs go over 15 per meal (and I can't have ANY in the mornings in any case), my sugars skyrocket. So I tend to eat mostly meat, cheese, and eggs. I have some veggies as a garnish, and almost no fruit. I can't afford to.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

erstad, the OP said, "I should mind you that when I do have veggies I saute' or fry them in butter"

not boiling them.

Boiled veggies = usually yuck.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maurile is offline Senior Member

Butter is better than olive oil. Olive oil is OK, but butter has a better ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids, and also has more heart-healthy saturated fat. It tastes better, too, IMO.

Tarlach is offline Member

Butter is not good. Dairy is not made for humans.

Rendered animal fats are much better.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I also eat my veg as more of a "garnish" & not every day & not every meal. I stick with leafy greens/brassicas mostly - kale, cabbage, collards - cooked in some kind of rendered animal fat and do some salads. I don't feel guilty about not eating a ton of veg. It may be that starchy carbs flush nutrients out of our bodies and when we don't have starchy carbs our need for extra nutrients is diminished. Gary Taubes talks a little about this in GCBG but I'm pretty sure it's never been investigated. People like the Inuit don't eat veg on their traditional diet at all.

maurile is offline Senior Member

Rendered animal fats are not made for humans either. (And anyway, butter is essentially a rendered animal fat.)

grandma is offline Member

animal fats may not have been "made for humans" but the premise of the PB is that "humans were made for animal fat". I would argue the ghee is rendered animal fat. Butter is very thick cream.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Tarlach is offline Member

Rendered animal fat is what you get when you cook meat. Humans have been consuming it for at least 400,000 years and likely up to 2 million. We have evolved eating it.

Butter is not like rendered animal fat, It is made from milk, which man has only been exposed to since domestication of livestock (say <10,000 years). Man has not yet evolved to adequately handle dairy consumtion.

Ghee is rendered butter.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

People don&#39;t get Tarlach started on the dairy!! I do love sauteeing my veggies in bacon fat, it&#39;s delicious, and since I already paid for the bacon it&#39;s like the rendered fat is free I don&#39;t eat nearly as many veggies as I did before Primal (so, more than 3 months ago), maybe 1-2 servings in a day. Not every day, and I only have more than that if I have a salad for lunch or dinner. And I eat almost no fruit anymore, I only have frozen berries in my freezer. Once I start with them I have a hard time stopping, so I mostly ignore them.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Pauley, EAT YOUR VEGETABLES!! Even if you&#39;re keeping your carbs low, (unless you have issues with your blood sugar, like Griff mentioned,) you would have to eat an uncomfortable amount of the greens to hit high numbers. What kind of vegetables are you eating? When I first started eating veggies, I stuck to the basics: carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers. I&#39;ll admit, booring. But there are SUCH great varieties that really add to your meal. Lately I&#39;ve been crazy over portobello mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil (gives it a nutty flavor,) yellow squash sauteed in butter with basil, or roasted asparagus covered in olive oil and pepper. I would be quite sad if I didn&#39;t have that additional variety in my meals that veggies provide! Also, unless you&#39;re eating an assortment of meat, it&#39;s hard to get all your necessary vitamins/nutrients/antioxidants from meat and nuts alone. And I don&#39;t think I have to tell you how important it is to get plenty of nutrients...

Hmm...even traditional store-bought butter has a good o-3/o-6 ratio?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast