Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My gut and Coffee?? Will they ever get along?? page

Erik C. is offline Junior Member

My gut and Coffee?? Will they ever get along??

Primal Fuel
    Coffee!! Yes, the Coffee God's own me. They have me wrapped up in their tight little grasp. I do not consume this amazing beverage all day long, however my americano with whole cream is a must first thing in the morning. One small problem with this phenominal habit, my gut fights back after several days of consistent consumption. By consistent I mean - one coffee a day for several days in a row. I have to switch to tea and or nothing and suffer through my morning to promote healing. I know what some people might say "cut the crap out all together", but come on folks I have to be addicted to something. If it can't be narcotics, alchohol or carb's, then what do I have to live for

Anywyas, to the point. Does anyone have this same exact problem and if you do, have you discovered a blend that is lighter on the stomach? I won't drink Folgers (low acid), so that one is out. I just wanted to throw this out there and see what comes back. Thanks.
    Erik C.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Are you drinking organic coffee? It is important to remember that all oils (coffee has oils) should be organic, as the oily part of anything seems to concentrate all the bad stuff used in conventional agriculture these days. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods both have extensive selections of organic coffees. Starbucks and the other chains rarely offer brewed organic coffees, so try to get your "fix" at home, using organic coffee. Try some of the milder blends, like a breakfast blend. Trader Joe's has an awesome organic peaberry, which is the cream of the crop as far as coffee beans go.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I second the organic. I used to have stomach issues from the coffee found at local shops, I can only drink what I have at home, which I buy at costco and its organic and fair trade.

Previously, I could only drink ONE coffee a day if I bought it from someone else, and it would bother me for at least a day, lost appetite, upset stomach etc. Now, I can have half a pot! I love coffee.

anne is offline Member
    I have the same problem. Fortunately coffee is the only thing that ever causes stomach pains for me so I guess it could be worse. I'm sure it is not the caffeine since I can unfortunately drink insane amounts of red bull without any problems (except an accelerated heart rate after the third can). I'm trying to get rid of that habit again but at the current point in my life it's not so easy (but of course possible and I *will* do it).

The only other natural alternative that doesn't cause any problems for me is tea, not sure though if the effetcs would be strong enough so that I can switch to tea entirely. Would tea be an option for you? There are so many tasty varieties of black and green tea...

But the previous comments sound promising, I'll give organic coffee a try first.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    The whole cream you use could possibly be a contributor since it has dairy in it. Do you know if you have dairy intolerances?
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    So I wonder if you're really addicted to coffee, or addicted to the endorphins created when coffee causes you pain? Food for thought!

I suppose you could test the theory by sticking a fork in your foot every morning, and see if you eventually get addicted to that too....
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I concur with Elorajade -- learn to make your own coffee. If you've got a good natural food store near you, you can try different organic blends and roasting styles till you find one you really like.

If there's any possibility it's the cream (lactose) causing you trouble, you could leave it out. Sometimes I don't trust conventional fresh dairy (cream and milk) all that well. They often put together milk from many farms, some of it not all that good, mostly grain fed, then they add things like salt and dried milk solids to get it all standard.

I find that coffee and a small cube of aged cheddar are natural soul-mates.

If you want to ease up the acid level, you can wash, dry, and crush eggshells, and put a big pinch in with the coffee grounds before brewing. It does help the flavor.

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    The whole cream you use could possibly be a contributor since it has dairy in it. Do you know if you have dairy intolerances?
    That was my first thought. Also, do you need the caffeine or do you just like the taste. I had a problem with coffee before I started having organic decaf coffee with no dairy. Seem to be fine now and I do have a half caf a few times a week.
    Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik C. View Post
    but come on folks I have to be addicted to something.
    Shut the hell up.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Shut the hell up.
    lol. i say go for the narcotics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast