Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dates vs chocolate page

frances is offline Senior Member

dates vs chocolate

Shop Now
    Hey all,

So, I'm in week two of my 30DONN (no refined sweeteners, no alcohol, NO CHEATS). And, it's going well. However, I seem to have a little problem with dates. As in, I'm completely addicted to them, and they are a trigger food like no other that I've experienced.

Now, pre-30DONN, I had a single square of darkish chocolate for dessert every night. And it was good. I was never tempted to eat a second square. But NOW, dates have replaced the chocolate. And I'm out of control. Every time I walk into the kitchen, I eat one. Or three. I've eaten six in a sitting (Which is a lot). I can eat half a pound at a time. I've thrown them out, only to replace them the next time I went to Whole Foods.

I'm better off just going back to the chocolate, right? OK, done whining/kvetching now.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'd say go for the chocolate. Then again, if you experience no ill effects from eating the dates, it might not be THAT bad. It's up to you. If you can handle carbohydrates better than most, and if you're active, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Half a pound is a bit much, though. :]

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Dates are as sweet as candy. If they're a trigger for you it's definitely better to stick with the chocolate.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Kitty is offline Member
    I guess it depends on what chocolate you get but Green & Blacks dark [which I LOVE LOVE LOVE] has the following - may contain soy and wheat is what puts me off unless a special treat. I would say Dates are a better option
    Or, if it really makes you happy and it's part of your 20% keep the choc

Ingredients

Organic Chocolate Liquor, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Fat-Reduced Cocoa Powder, Organic Raw Cane Sugar, Organic Vanilla Extract, Organic Whole Milk Powder *

* Please see FAQ on allergen labeling.

MAY CONTAIN HAZELNUTS, ALMONDS, BRAZIL NUTS, CASHEWS, PISTACHIOS, SOY AND WHEAT.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    That really just means it was processed in a plant that also processes stuff that can contain those items, so they can't absolutely swear the Green & Black doesn't have tiny traces -- it really wouldn't be a concern unless you were wildly allergic, like at risk of death if you consumed the tiniest trace of nuts, say. It doesn't mean they may be sticking soy and wheat in the chocolate if the mood strikes them.

To the OP: you're consuming a zillion more carbs and calories in sugar with the dates than you were with the chocolate . . . you do the math.

Herbwifemama is offline Senior Member
    Some serious dark chocolate would be less of a trigger for me than dates, which are extremely sweet. You just can't shovel really dark chocolate.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    dates are sooo sweet, i never eat them. find a wholesome dark chocolate and stick with that.

frances is offline Senior Member
    I think this was definitely a case of the perfect being the enemy of the good. Sure, I totally cut out refined sugars, but replaced them with DATES. I don't really stress carbs, but they ARE carb heavy. One date left, and back to my chocolate for dessert again (I have some Vosges dark chocolate). Thanks, all!

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frances View Post
    (I have some Vosges dark chocolate)
    Jealousss!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast