Thread: Coconut Milk - Guar Gum vs. Potassium Metabisulfite page

Mel_Corcino is offline Junior Member

Coconut Milk - Guar Gum vs. Potassium Metabisulfite

Shop Now
    Hey Folks,

Which one would you select and why...

Coconut Milk with Guar Gum (All natural) or Coconut Milk No gums, thickners or stabilizers added (contains Potassium Matabisulfite as preservative)?

Let me know your thoughts...

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    The answer is in the question- "Guar Gum (All natural) "
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

carlh is offline Senior Member
    GWAR gum? I'd avoid it

actually, concerning Potassium metabisulfite, it's restricted in use and may cause "severe allergic reactions" in "sensitive persons" - not well defined though.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    From the standpoint of health, guar gum is better. From the standpoint of texture and mouthfeel, I think I've gotten better results from metabisulfite products.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    GWAR gum? I'd avoid it

actually, concerning Potassium metabisulfite, it's restricted in use and may cause "severe allergic reactions" in "sensitive persons" - not well defined though.
    That's awesome.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Potassium metabisulfite is a sulfter dioxide (e220) that is commonly used in wines, beers, or any kind of liquid that needs stabilization for preservation. It is generally considered harmless, but it has been known to cause severe reactions in some people.

"derived from coal tar; all sulphur drugs are toxic and restricted in use (in USA, FDA** prohibits their use on raw fruits and vegetables), produced by combustion of sulphur or gypsum; known to provoke asthma attacks and difficult to metabolise for those with impaired kidney function, also destroys vitamin B1; typical products are beer, soft drinks, dried fruit, juices, cordials, wine, vinegar, potato products"
    While it is not the greatest thing in the world, if the budget is tight and the 2.50 cans of coconut milk are a little out of range then you could eat worse things than a bit of potassium metabisulfite.

edit: I drink so much coconut milk it's kind of ridiculous, and at 2.50 a pop I sometimes buy the cheaper conchita stuff which does contain e220 compounds. That's why I learned about it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    Potassium metabisulfite is a sulfter dioxide (e220) that is commonly used in wines, beers, or any kind of liquid that needs stabilization for preservation. It is generally considered harmless, but it has been known to cause severe reactions in some people.

While it is not the greatest thing in the world, if the budget is tight and the 2.50 cans of coconut milk are a little out of range then you could eat worse things than a bit of potassium metabisulfite.

edit: I drink so much coconut milk it's kind of ridiculous, and at 2.50 a pop I sometimes buy the cheaper conchita stuff which does contain e220 compounds. That's why I learned about it in the first place.
    I buy Thai Kitchen by the case at Amazon for $20 with free shipping....we go through A LOT of coconut milk, so it is a much better deal for us then the $2.50 a can the grocer sells it for.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    I buy Thai Kitchen by the case at Amazon for $20 with free shipping....we go through A LOT of coconut milk, so it is a much better deal for us then the $2.50 a can the grocer sells it for.
    I used to do that, but after 3 shipments of cans so dented and warped that sometimes they were busted at the seams I had to put a stop on it. Amazon was good about replacing my orders when they were bad, but it was such a damn hassle!

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I had to make the same decision. I trust the guar gum a little more, but it's slight. So I just ended up going with whichever one had the best taste and texture (for me that's Native Forest organic, which has the added benefit of being in BPA-free cans).
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I used to do that, but after 3 shipments of cans so dented and warped that sometimes they were busted at the seams I had to put a stop on it. Amazon was good about replacing my orders when they were bad, but it was such a damn hassle!
    That sucks! I have fortunately never had that issue.