Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stress + lack of sleep = hungrier? page

melodious is offline Senior Member

stress + lack of sleep = hungrier?

Primal Fuel
    Is this just me?
    I admit to dealing with a very un-grokish amount of stress the last few months. And to having gone to bed stupidly late the last couple of nights.

Normally, skipping breakfast is my chosen path. Or rather, eating a piece of fruit half an hour before lunch is "breakfast".

When abusing your body, does anyone else find themselves hungrier than normal?

Obviously, I'm not losing weight with my stress in overdrive (frustrating, as I'm still eating almost completely primally). I feel like I've got cortisol running through my veins and not blood, anymore. :P

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Nah, I get that too. It's kinda like you're running on fumes and not getting enough sleep just ran your tank dry.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

dorsia is offline Junior Member
    I definitely have the same experience -- even a few days' stress and a late night will do it for me. Have to hide the macadamia nuts, haha.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Sleep deprivation messes with your satiety hormones. If I haven't slept enough, I can't stop eating!

bigpeteau is offline Junior Member
    In my experience stress or lack of sleep (or the combo of the two) often leads to a decline in my eating habits. Commonly this means eating more often, eating larger portions, and/or eating less healthy foods.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely. That's how I got into the position of needing some serious lifestyle mod in the first place. Finishing dissertation + personal stress -> lack of sleep and huge sugar cravings. Once my wife woke up in the middle of the night to find me baking peanut butter cookies. She was not amused.

lev96 is offline Member
    I find this to be totally true with me too. In fact I am going through a bout of it myself. I remember reading a CW sourced article/study years ago that tied lack of sleep and higher stress with sugar cravings. And I think that I remember Mark blogging about something similar (or if it wasn't Mark it was another paleo/primal blogger). It seems to me that CW and Paleo, agree on the following equation:

high stress + lack of proper rest = bad food choices

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Well, that actually makes me feel a bit better about the rather larger than normal number of kalamata olives I just obsessively ate. I'm busy working, and my mind is wandering, thinking about the candy machine downstairs with snickers in it.
    The closest to candy I've had so far this year is some cinnamon roasted almonds (yum!), and never more than a few of those, even!
    I keep emergency gluten free cookie mix in my apartment. I may have to hide that from myself.

I'm so tired!

slacker is offline Senior Member
    There is actually research that confirms this. I'll fish around and see if I can find some citations. It's related to the whole thing of high cortisol tipping the metabolism toward fat accumulation.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by slacker; 01-12-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: add links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast