Thread: Gyro meat? page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Gyro meat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At a local Greek restaurant, I occasionally order a salad topped with roasted veggies and gyro meat. I thought it might be fun to make gyro meat at home. However, I started looking up recipes, and a few of them used breadcrumbs as a binder.

Do you know if this is the norm for restaurant gyro meat? Does it typically contain bread??
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Yes and no. Depends on how authentic they are and the chef's preference. It IS kinda like a Greek meatloaf, though. I wouldn't worry too much abt your gyro if it's not a daily thing. If you're really worried, you can ask the chef. if it's Kronos meat, as so many restaurants use, you're fine.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    We make our own gyro meat by doing 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground lamb in the food processor with just spices until it is paste like. Bake it in a loaf shape, cool and then slice thinly. Brush the slices with a little olive oil and broil for a couple minutes.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by supersellen View Post
    We make our own gyro meat by doing 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground lamb in the food processor with just spices until it is paste like. Bake it in a loaf shape, cool and then slice thinly. Brush the slices with a little olive oil and broil for a couple minutes.
    Thanks!! Is it necessary to put the meat in the food processor? Or could I just mix it really well with my hands?
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    mix it well by hand and you're fine. If you have rotisserie set up for whatever reason, use that. Errrr *Scuffle scuffle dig*
    Here is Alton Brown's recipe.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    mix it well by hand and you're fine. If you have rotisserie set up for whatever reason, use that. Errrr *Scuffle scuffle dig*
    Here is Alton Brown's recipe.
    Thanks, I will definitely be making this!!
    My primal success story