Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF/Fast5 question page

katydid317 is offline Senior Member

IF/Fast5 question

Shop Now
    I'm on day 5 of doing IF as recommended by Fast5, so 19 hours of fasting then an eating window from 5-10pm. I like it. REALLY like it. I suits my lifestyle really well. I never feel like eating breakfast, I'm too busy during the day and then I get home at 4pm with my son, start to relax and cook dinner so 5pm is perfect. I've been eating a really big dinner, but I think that might level off a bit. So my question is, is this a healthy eating pattern? 1 big meal a day, or 1 meal and a snack later, is that ok for long term?

One of my friends is paleo and does IF but everyone else I know, family included, thinks this is insanely unhealthy and that I'm developing an eating disorder. Especially when I describe some of my meals (ie. guacamole topped bacon with a side of jerk chicken and vegetables). Thoughts?

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Fine, as long as you are eating some veggies.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I naturally fall into a similar eating window most of the time too. I like feeling kind of light for the first part of the day, but then I like to seriously chow down in the afternoon/evening.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i have a daily eating window of 5-11. i used to eat just one big meal, but i split it up into two meals throughout that window (and maybe a handful of almonds if i'm feeling snacky) so that i could spread the nutrients out a little bit. getting everything i needed--particularly protein--in one sitting was pretty tough. now i have one big meal after i work out (usually a big omelet), then a smaller one later on (bowl of chili or salad)...and i like it a lot better.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    I definitely eat plenty of veggies too, but lately my diet has been getting more meat heavy just because it's delicious, so I'm going to make a conscious effort to scale back the meat portions and scale up the veggies. I'm also trying to cut back on fruit because I am seriously addicted to sugar. I can eat 2000-2200 calories a day doing this as well, but I think I need to scale back since my goal is weight loss. I've lost 2 lbs in 5 days so it must be working but I can't imagine it staying that way. I want to be able to lose the last bit of fat I have around my middle and then continue to maintain on the same IF eating pattern. Realistic?

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I see it like this:
    You know how P90X is popular/effective right now because of the thought/science behind muscle confusion? By which I mean if you vary your exercises your body can't get used to them, so it has to stay adaptable and efficient and strong. I see IFing in the same way. By keeping your "feeding" schedule varied, your body won't expect food at regular times - so it will take better advantage of it when it gets it. So I'd recommend continuing IFing but vary the times - not just skipping breakfast.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    What you're doing is also known as The Warrior Diet. I tried to WD but it wasn't for me, or I didn't give it enough time. I like two meals a day best. I eat my first one at 1pm then the second around 6 or 7, sometimes later. I snack a little bit too I guess. I exercise daily though and pretty hard sometimes.

Sometimes my fasts end up being late, I've eaten as late as 8pm and only had a single meal. If I didn't work a 9-5 I'd probably fast longer, but taking a lunch break allows me to leave that place for a good hour. Sometimes if I didn't pack a lunch I'll just get tea and read for an hour and eat when I get home.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I've done Fast5 for a couple of years now. It was so natural for me and my lifestyle that it was <facepalm> that I didn't do it sooner. If you are happy doing it, then relax and enjoy. I often do one big meal, but I've mostly do two smaller meals - just so I can have more variety. It's all personal preference. I find that fasting is a great way to highlight our need for nutritionally-dense foods. Just becomes that much more important not to waste it when our eating windows are so much smaller. I spent a lot of time perusing whfoods.org because they've got great info on nutrient density. There's a great food advisor that you can work around for Primal/low-carb and still get some good recommendations - like spinach is just a crazy powerhouse. Chard, etc - those leafy greens. I try to get some several times a week. IFing is very easy if you are feeding the body what it needs to run it's best. Easy and healthy.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member
    sounds good to me, keep it up!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf and the Leangains guy claim that there isn't much benefit to IFing past 16 hours. It's cool that it is working for you.
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast