Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting online protein/fat calculator page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

Interesting online protein/fat calculator

Here is a very interesting online calculator to dtermine protein and fat requirements based on weight, height, age, exercise and carb intake: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058429.php

The author states that after a couple of weeks on a ketogenic diet protein needs drops significantly as the body adjusts which accounts for stalls. He cites pretty extensive references.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    Seems interesting and probably correct.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Huh....then why did it calculate that I need a whopping 187 g of protein in order to maintain my muscle mass? I only weight 118. Am I crazy or is the calculator that is wrong?

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    It told me I needed over 200g of protein which is absolutely ridiculous. I weigh 125 pounds.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    and i only need 44g....@()Q$^*)Q@$(^)Q@($*^)Q@$Q@ i eat like 5 times that lol

lizch is offline Senior Member
    That calculator seemed odd to me. Gave me crazy low maintenance calories....I probably eat that for breakfast It made me hungry just looking at the number!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

jennf is offline Senior Member
    People's results are very interesting. I tried it for me and it seemed very reasonable. I'm 5'4 and it suggested 1785 calories and 83g of protein. I usually eat about 100g, but I don't think 83g is too low.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    The calculator seems to be based on the number of carbs you input. The higher carb count, the lower protein count, when I played with it.
    Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Hmmmm...didn't make sense to me when I did it. Personally, I wouldn't use any calculator except my own trial and error to see what ratios work best for me.

urbansix is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From my tinkering, the biggest jump in numbers occurs if you put in <3 weeks vs. >3weeks. Mine went from 192g protein for <3 weeks, to 89g for >3 weeks.

After three weeks on a ketogenic diet, the brain requires much less glucose because it switches over to burning some ketones. So the protein required to supplement your low carbohydrate intake drops dramatically. That is why the calculator asks you how many weeks you have been on a ketogenic diet.

What I can't figure out, is if the calories/day recommended are net after exercise, or gross with exercise factored in (i.e. the exercise increases your average metaboliic rate but you still need to increase your intake to offset the actual exercise). I am assuming Net.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast