Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95% of Americans aren't getting enough whole grains?? page

Leanne is offline Senior Member

95% of Americans aren't getting enough whole grains??

I don't watch TV very often, but my husband had it on tonight and there was a commercial for General Mills claiming that "95% of Americans are not getting enough whole grains in their diet". (and yes I do realize I am Canadian but we see American marketing too) Their solution was to display the many cereals they produce, focusing on Honey Nut Cherios, Trix and Lucky Charms (which in my mind are refined sugar and food colouring with a little bit of wheat thrown in on the side). Immediately following was a Dempsters bread ad also saying Americans are not getting enough grains and advising 6 to 12 daily servings of grains. Who comes up with this stuff? 6 - 12 servings of grains, 5 - 10 servings of fruits and vegetables. In other words before we even look at proteins we are already being advised to eat at 22 servings off food? Cereal being part of a complete breakfast only if you also serve orange juice, a glass of milk and a plate of toast with jam. With no information offered as to what a serving should look like but kids eating cereal out of huge soup bowls and shovelling it into their mouths with table spoons. Of course the ads are aimed at parents to imply that good parents feed their kids mass amounts of processed grains. And then we wonder why North America has an obesity epidemic. Talk about brain washing.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    It's The Whole Grains Council, looking after your and my health! It's a veritable Who's Who of big food producers.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    OP, didn't you know that human body evolved eating strict serving sizes of high carb foods....geeze some people

But seriously, it amazes me how serious some people get about recommended serving numbers; it's like most people believe everyone has the exact same needs, but as an individual they are more special than everyone else.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    One of the reasons why Americans are so fat because they allowed to spew this misleading nonsense and can advertise the healthy goodness of Hot Pockets. The public buys it "hook, line, and stinker"!
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shat View Post
    One of the reasons why Americans are so fat because they allowed to spew this misleading nonsense and can advertise the healthy goodness of Hot Pockets. The public buys it "hook, line, and stinker"!
    Wait, you mean Lean Pockets AREN'T good for me?! No wonder the directions say "take out of package, place directly in toilet."
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Martha is offline Senior Member
    My husband always says, Never underestimate the stupidity of the average human being. I try to remember that excess grain consumption CAUSES stupidity, and the food companies shamelessly take advantage of that fact. I no longer wonder how they (the food companies) can be that stupid. I plainly see that they think WE'RE that stupid. And sadly, most of us still are. Well, not US, of course, but you know -- everybody else. Brainwashed and stupid. Fat and sick.

How many copies of Primal Blueprint have YOU purchased to give away? Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Act as you believe." Reach out to friends and neighbors and share the magic.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    it's true. i'm not getting nearly the amount of grains that i "should." i get zero grains. lol

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    <<"95% of Americans are not getting enough whole grains in their diet">>

<grin> They aren't saying enough for WHAT!

Enough for their bottom line, probably.

Remember that both the grains and therefore the advertising from companies selling the grains are subsidized by our tax dollars.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    My husband always says, Never underestimate the stupidity of the average human ... I plainly see that they think WE'RE that stupid. And sadly, most of us still are. Well, not US, of course, but you know -- everybody else. Brainwashed and stupid. Fat and sick.
    Stupid? No.
    Misinformed? Yes!
    Victims of conspiracy by corporate America? You bet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast