Thread: Sunflower Seed Butter page

tanyahk is offline Senior Member

Sunflower Seed Butter

Primal Fuel
    So, sunflower seeds are GOOD! Sunflower seed oil is BAD! What about sunflower seed butter??

Ingredients:
    Sunflower seeds
    evaporated cane juice
    salt

All nutrition facts were the almost exactly the same as Almond Butter when I compared the two at the store (both were Trader Joe's brand label).

So - thoughts on Sunflower Seed butter?

kimdowse is offline Member
    I get the Sunbutter Organic where the only ingredient is organic sunflower seeds. It's a nice substitute for peanut butter.

Stu
    Stu is offline Member
    Same advice as it is for all other nuts. Don't over do it!

It is really easy overeat on nut butters, and thus skew your omega 6 levels. I don't even bother buying it anymore because I know I will devour the whole jar in no time.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanyahk View Post
    evaporated cane juice
    Ha ha ha ha ha. It's sugar!

Sunflower seeds are passable because they're hard to eat in large quantity. Nut/seed oils and butters are too rich in Omega-6 for me. They should only be seen as an occasional indulgence
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tanyahk is offline Senior Member
    I won't eat alot of it I know that - I used to spread PB on english muffins and bagels and now I don't know what I would use it with (apples maybe but I don't think often). However I tried almond butter and HATED it and wanted to see if maybe I would like this as a substitute if the occassion came up that I did want something like a PB.... Thanks all!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Looking at the label from the jar I have of the Trader Joe's brand...2 T. contains 3g of sugar, so the added sugar is fairly minimal. Considering I'm not eating large quantities, I don't worry about it. (I'm not one of the "hard core" primals.)