Thread: Beef Tallow Storage page

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hey Guys,

I just bought a 5-gallon pail of tallow from U.S. Wellness Meats and I was wondering if I can just keep it in my pantry, or if it is necessary for me to somehow refrigerate it. Also, once I open it and start using it bit by bit, does this effect it's shelf life?

Any information is much appreciated.

Tarlach is offline Member

A very rough guess - about 4-6 months on the shelf, 9-12 months in the fridge, and about 2 years frozen.

Personally I would refrigerate after opening.

If the tub is too big, then put some in a smaller container for everyday use and freeze the rest?

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

chowza is offline Member

I bought the five-galloner from US Wellness and put the whole thing in my freezer. Thankfully, I don't keep much else in the freezer...

Check out my blog here.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I think Tarlach's numbers can be doubled. I've had coconut oil well over a year at storage temperatures and it is just fine. It was probably liquid last summer, solid in the other seasons. Don't forget, when solid, nothing can change at the molecular level, for all practical purposes.

Acmebike is offline Member

Use a lot of it, and you won't have that trouble! You'll just run out fast. I'd second the idea of keeping out bit (gallon? quart) at room temp. Freeze or fridge the rest and just pull more out as you need. If the freezer space is tight, just leave it in the pantry and use it up in under a year, should be fine.

I got the same huge tub and have been selling off portions to other Primal/Paleo buds. Helps defray my costs and gets it used up proper like.

JustinKN is offline Junior Member

I don't know anyone else in Gainesville with primal/paleo interests and they all think fat is deadly, so selling part of it seems unlikely.

I e-mailed "The Bear" and he told me:

"Beef tallow, if thoroughly dry and in a sealed container, can keep as long as 30 years."

This sounds promising, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Freezer's full, as is fridge, though, so we'll see.

Acmebike is offline Member

Heck, even portioning the big pale out to smaller double bagged/sealed in tupperware could be a good option. So you are not opening all 5 gallons to the air /elements each time you dip into it. Just work your way through one smaller container at a time.

But my grandparents always had an open 5 gallon pail in the pantry, no lid, and it never went bad, seems they must've gone through it fast, and rendered up more as needed a couple times a year. But yah, I'd take Bear at his word, and trust it to last indefinitely.

And going through that much tallow, eating bacon and eggs every day, my Grandpa was active and happy to 87. Paradox? I think not! Rather proper high fat dining.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

When my grandmother was younger and they didn't have room in the fridge, her husband would bring home the entire pig or half a cow and here's what she would do to preserve it:

- she would fry the meat (more like sauté it) to make sure it's cooked thoroughly

- she would also melt enough fat to cover the surface where the meat is going to be stored

- she would then put all the meat on large containers, pots, etc., and pour fat over it

After processing, the meat would stay on a shelf for 6-7 months at a time without any spoilage.

Don't underestimate the shelf life of beef tallow

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Great story, CC. I've forgotten that technique, as has probably most of society. It's like the holes dug into the ground so that with a rope you can lower foods and keep them much cooler.

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Confit de canard is awesome stuff and hardly a lost art.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.