Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruising Starting Sunday page

carres1973 is offline Senior Member

Cruising Starting Sunday

Primal Fuel
    On Sunday, my family and I are leaving for a cruise. Unfortunately, not fast enough to beat the snow we are in the midst of getting. Here is my question - can anyone suggest snack/finger type food to take on the plane and larger quantities to pack in my luggage? I am thinking for the plane: applesauce (unsweetened) and mixed nuts (raw, unsalted). I can't think of anything else that wouldn't be messy to take. Maybe apples? I have actually been avoiding fruit, because it seems to stall any weight loss efforts. I was also thinking some type of jerky (though, it might stink up the plane!). Any other ideas?

For the cruise, the only thing I can think to pack is a large container of mixed nuts. My concern here is that we will be doing excursions and I was hoping to pack little snacks in small bags to take with me while hiking, swimming, rafting, etc. Any other suggestions of what I should pack in my suitcase to have on hand?

I could always do as Grumpy Caveman has suggested and eat a nice big helping of "wait until dinner".

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Carrie

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I'm going on a cruise in a couple weeks....7 days of dietary temptation LOL I'm not taking any extra food though. I'll just make good choices (heck, I'll be in a bathing suit so that's motivation enough to avoid the bloat from grains).

How long is your plane ride??? I've never had to snack on a flight unless it was international and that was way before I went primal.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

I think the plane ride is about 5 hours. Good thought about not snacking. Maybe just take lots of things to do. Unfortunately, I won't be home the morning of the flight so can't fix myself a nice loaded omelet.

I am thinking if I tell the waiters in the dining room that I have a gluten intolerance, I can avoid most things. I was originally thinking, well, it's only 7 days...maybe I should just go crazy. My problem with that is, once I start, I find it VERY hard to stop and get back on track!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carres1973 View Post
    I am thinking if I tell the waiters in the dining room that I have a gluten intolerance, I can avoid most things. I was originally thinking, well, it's only 7 days...maybe I should just go crazy. My problem with that is, once I start, I find it VERY hard to stop and get back on track!
    you should have been able to list food intolerances when you booked...they may ask you again once you board, not sure. I didn't list gluten intolerant b/c technically I'm not...well, only in the sense that all humans probably are. At any rate...I looked at the menu from our ship and the dining room has pretty decent options most nights. Meat and veggies in different courses. I'll be really active on the ship and on excursions so I'm not too worried about carbs. I'm going to relax and enjoy my vacation...I'm not going to go crazy intentionally, but if I want a piece of french toast before I go running off through the forest of Belize, I'm gonna have a piece of french toast. I probably won't want to because I LOVE eggs and bacon...but you get my drift.

Have a safe trip! Every time I start to freak out over dietary details, I remind myself how bad stress is for weight loss. Sometimes it really is better not to sweat the small stuff.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 01-11-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    When I cruised, I almost always went to the buffets. I know that can be a terrible temptation, but it wasn't a problem for me.

You can usually ask ahead of time for special diets, but they probably won't be very tasty.

Like at any fine restaurant, the waiters in the dinning rooms will try to accommodate you. I once sat across from a very overweight couple who each ordered two full meals. You probably could ask for two entries, a salad and vegetable, no starch or dessert.

As for the plane, you can pre-order special diet food.

For day excursions, eat plenty of protein and fat for breakfast.

It's a vacation. Enjoy your 20% and sensible vices! :-)

Bon voyage!!!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, I went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise and the food was amaaaaazing ~~~ I only wish I had been primal then! There were so many delicious options at their all-day buffet. The staff was supremely helpful, I'm sure they could direct you to resources or answer any questions. Can't vouch for the quality on a competing cruise line, tho. I was top seller for http://www.goofyfaces.com that year, and got to go free-of charge, to do caricatures of all the guests onboard. Was a great time. Would love to cruise again someday. Bon Voyage!

MrsToon - that is great! We are cruising on Royal Caribbean!

Carrie

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I've been on Royal Caribbean, Cunard, and Celebrity...all awesome. It's my very favorite kind of vacation.

They have SO MUCH meat and fish on these cruises. If you can just steer clear of the cakes and desserts and bread, I think you'll have a wonderful primal time. I'm taking a cruise next summer and really looking forward to being a Grok in the least Grokky environment I can imagine
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Hey - you got lots of great advice already - I just wanted to point out that applesauce probably won't make it past the TSA, since they would consider it a liquid/gel. I don't think they have a problem with apples though.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Martha is offline Senior Member
    We took a Celebrity Cruise in October. True Primal food hard to find. The biggest problem for me: Everything prepared with suspicious oils. Lots of carby entrees. Best food choices found in spa cafe, but even there, "healthy" meant low-fat. Yuck. I ended up eating way too many creme brulees (removed carmelized sugar topping) just to get the fats. Quite an ordeal to get full cream at the dinner table. It was a special order every night, only available in the dining room, and they made sure to let me know how out of the ordinary my request was. No organic dairy anywhere in sight, except in the aforementioned spa cafe, where everything was low-fat -- which meant there was not even any half-and-half available there. Cruising is not nearly the wonderful experience it used to be, when I was relatively clueless. Be sure to take *lots* of nuts with you, not just for the plane trip and airport layovers, but for while on the ship too, because they are likely to be the only "clean" food you find for the duration.

We are long-time cruisers and cruising for us was never much about the food, but when the food is bad, the whole experience suffers. Since going primal -- and mostly organic -- I personally find it more and more difficult to eat out at all.

I don't mean to rain on your parade. I don't know how strictly you follow primal nutrition, and maybe it won't be a problem for you. Just go knowing that finding suitable food *might* be a problem, and accept that it might be a problem. I didn't know how big a problem it would be until I got there and it took several days to work out acceptable compromises. Next time I'll know better -- and I WILL cruise again. Best kind of vacation in the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast