Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angorarabbit's Journal page 2

CandylandCanary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi and welcome.

Your flock sounds so cool! You guys must have fabulous fresh roasted fowl all the time, so jealous. D

A tip from my naturopath about developing a taste for vegetables: she says that a LOT of CW/SAD people are zinc-deficient. If you're low in zinc, you lierally can't taste vegetables properly. They'll taste like cardboard to you, or worse. So when they have to get people to develop an appetite for veggies, they usually have them take about 50-100mg of zinc per day. Zinc supplements aren't that pricey either.

I also hear that herbs and spices and oils can help a LOT with making veggies seem tastier.

About sticking with the macronutrients: I have a version of this problem too. I'm hypoglycemic, so if my blood sugar is low, I tend to overeat or overmeasure, or 'just a bit more won't hurt', etc with carbs. What's helping me out is to just have stuff measured and put in a tupperware in the fridge AHEAD OF TIME. A lot of people aren't cravey or hungry in the morning at all, so this is a good time to chop, measure and prepare everything. Pretty much you want to NOT be preparing the meals while hungry. That way it's easier to stick with the numbers you decided on.

Your goal with the Appalachian Trail sounds really exciting too. Good luck with all these goals.
    Getting my Grok on in the Pacific Northwest.

"C is for cookie, that's good enough for me."
    "Cookie is a sometimes food."
    "Sometimes cookie monster eat APPLE instead of COOKIE. Sometimes eat CARROT."
    -Cookie Monster, partially reformed sugarholic

"

Ok firstly, I'm angry and need to vent.

I am studying to become a Doula. I spent good money on a program and I have read countless books on childbirth and child rearing and pregnancy. I have a lot of money invested in this education because I am passionate about birth and a return to more organic labor and delivery (when medically possible).
    Months ago my hubby's best friend, Tony got his "girlfriend" Melissa, pregnant. She's a sweet girl, but she's ditzy as all hell. A TTC that has received a terrible education and has been emotionally and mentally f*cked by her mother, all of which has left her socially retarded.

She is completely and totally devoted to Tony. He has admitted that if her were ask this girl to spread his poo all over her body she probably would, no questions asked. He can do no wrong and she makes no decision without consulting him because in the end he makes all decisions for her. (This behavior used to involve her mother, then her grandparents and sometimes her older sister.)
    Melissa has admitted that she doesn't like making her own decisions and she needs others to make them for her. This goes to the extent that she didn't even have an OB until she was 7 1/2 months pregnant despite my telling her almost daily she needed to get a doctor! (please keep in mind both she and tony were living with us up until that point)

She was due on the 11th of January. The week before she decided to tell her doctor that I was her Doula.

I never broached this subject with her, because quite frankly, she acts like a child and I didn't want to be the one making all the decisions she and Tony should be making (except, that he could have cared less if she ever went to a doctor and never encouraged her to do so). However she knew I was studying and I do need to attend 2 births to obtain my certification and since she decided to give the doctor my name and number I didn't want to back out and look unprofessional.

So I panicked and bought a lot of what I needed for my birth bag, and I bought a couple of books to read that could get me though all of this at short notice and 3 days after her appointment when I went to meet with her she told me that Tony didn't want me to be her Doula. He was afraid I shoved myself on her and that I would replace him. I explained that is not my job, and that she knows very well I NEVER pushed my services onto her and I left some stuff for him to read about how a doula does not replace the partner. The next day she said that Tony said I could be around for the labor, but not the birth. I was fine with this, I could still use the birth for my certification.

Well her due date came and went, she was getting uncomfortable and worried, Tony was getting pissed off at using his precious few days off for false alarm contractions. I lent them a birth ball and told her to call me when she was ready.

This morning my husband called me to tell me the baby was on the way.

They never even had the decency to call me and tell me they didn't need my services, nor did they ever tell their doctor that they had dismissed me. So now I'm quite sure the doctor thinks I'm a no show and I'm back to finding TWO births to attend instead of one. I am so damn angry at the both of them it isn't even funny. They got $400 worth of services for free IN EXCHANGE FOR MY ATTENDANCE AT THE LABOR. ARGH!!!! I have been on call for 3 goddamn weeks, making no plans and not going out in case she needed me! ARGH!!!

Quite frankly I'm not entirely sure how to feel. It's already taken me awhile to get used to her pregnancy to begin with (long story) and we started getting along better and then this happens. Exactly what I knew would happen because she has no backbone and sticks her neck out for no one.

So with that out of the way.... I'll post later regarding more primal matters

Thanks for stopping by Candylandcanary! I'm going to try the zinc supplements and see if that helps some. I usually cook up veg into something heavily seasoned or smother them in cheese. I need to cut back on the cheese usage and I'm trying to start eating veg as raw as possible. If I can develop a taste for them raw, then hopefully I'll love them even more cooked! As for pre-preparation, I cook almost all my meats on Sunday night. Everything is cooked so that when it is heated it will finish cooking which cuts down on dinner prep for me. I'm usually only worrying about the sides at that point.

I need to make more jerky and I need to buy more nuts.

My written journal is covered in all of the spring clothes I would love to buy! I have spent the past 3 days scouring the websites of the Gap, Lucky Brand, Old Navy, Anthropologie, Victorias Secret, Zara, etc. printing off pictures of all the clothes I love and I've been making collages. I love clothes and I have never been able to really wear the clothes I love so having those pictures in my journal helps to motivate me. I might not WANT to walk 5 miles a day, but if it means a cute short skirt, I'll do it

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I've loved reading through your journal - I hope your job interview went ok and that things have settled down with your "friends", how awful to be taken advantage of like that!

Regarding the dairy - just like you, I LOVE my cheese. I'm currently going no dairy, though (for 3 weeks) and it really isn't that bad. Well, I have had cheese twice, sorta accidently Replace your butter with coconut oil and your cream with coconut milk and then it's pretty easy. I've noticed some improvements, but I do plan to add back cheese and cream/milk occasionally next weekend.

It's sounds like you are making good progress - little slips like with the apple cake are totally normal. Eating good food (you really sound like you know what you are doing here!) and listening to your body will take you far!

Tawny, thanks for the words of advice on dairy replacements. I've actually just started a whole30 inspired strip down of my diet. Only for 5 days, baby steps, right?
    I'm planning on doing a Whole30 starting March 1st, for ease of counting. When I decided to switch to PB and really stick with it I elected for 30 days of being Primal, no tracking which means I'll be done in mid-February. I figured starting a Whole30 on March 1st would just make it easier to track my progress, no math involved when trying to figure out how long I've been sans cheese! Depending on how March goes I'm hoping to extend the 30 days into 60 days (well, 61 since March does have an extra day).

Day 1 of clean diet :

Breakfast: 3 slices bacon (got a bit hungry when preparing lunch), 2 cups black coffee

Lunch: Cabbage, onion and bacon soup in homemade ham stock. Topped off with bacon grease.
    (haven't pooed in a week. It was make soup or use cabbage leaves to scoop out cold bacon grease from the yum-mug on my stove)

Dinner: salad greens with cajun beef (I think)

I'm hoping to go out tonight with DH to pick up some veg. All I have now are 2 sweet potatoes and I might make a big bowl of mashed sweet taters and coconut milk for lunch tomorrow.
    I'm also picking up a pair of scrubs for my working interview Monday! At the interview this past Monday, the woman interviewing me let loose that the doc was NOT a fan of printed scrubs, but preferred jewel tones so I'm going to buy myself a pair of burgundy or hunter green scrubs :-) I want to be able to wash them a couple times and wear them around so I don't look like I'm trying too hard!

In regards to my rant, the steam has been let off and I feel a lot better. Mom panicked Monday night after she hadn't felt the baby kick all day and called Tony to take her to the hospital. Mom and baby are fine, she had her son yesterday morning in the 8 o clock hour and he looks just like his daddy. Spoke with Tony and he explained they were going to call me... I told him I was upset because I should have been notified. Even if they didn't want me there, she should have called or text me. If she had been sitting around worrying all day, I should have been called because it's part of my job. Comfort, support, education are a part of what I do and when she decided that she wanted me to be her doula I sat down with her and explained all of this to her. That is why I was upset. I was being treated more like a friend who'd understand why you didn't call her instead of the professional you need to call and update. Even though I am her friend, in this situation, she had wanted me to be the professional and I wasn't treated as such.

When DH got home last night he was ready to go visit the new baby. He and T have been friend since 2nd grade so he was very excited! He kept telling baby L all the great stuff they were going to do together and it was all very cute.

xxx
    Last edited by angorarabbit; 01-20-2011 at 06:12 AM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Love the journal! Great stuff!

Thanks for stopping by my page! Like you, I also love cheese but have cut back to one serving a day or every other day. It really helps. I have never really found dairy to be an issue for me.

Veggies are great! Next time you have brocolli, carrots, brussel sprouts, whatever, try roasting in the oven with some olive oil or bacon fat and a bit of kosher salt & pepper. Also, blanching them first in boiling water for a minute or 2, then draining and dumping in ice cold water to stop cooking then heating up some kind of fat in a pan and sauteeing with garlic or bacon is yummy! Good luck!
    Georgette

Well it's almost halfway through April and I have finally returned.

Baby L is dead, which is why I hadn't been around. I kinda fell off the wagon, bounced three times into a ditch filled with sh*t where I broke a figurative leg and a dog came by and peed on my head. That's code for "the past couple months have been amply filled with pies and cakes and all things not exactly primal".

However I started eating Whole 30 for the month and so far I'm doing great! I'm not eating very much though, which I did post about in the nutrition board, but I feel no desire to eat all the time either. I tried getting my husband to join me in doing the Whole30 and by day two I told him to go eat whatever he wanted because I was tired of listening to him whine and moan about what he WASN'T eating instead of being excited about what he WAS eating. Actually the argument went something like this: "Go eat a damn Subway sandwich and shut up! I'm not listening to 30 days of this. Just go!"

Supposedly he'll be doing weight watchers. if you listen closely you can actually HEAR my eyes rolling into the back of my head.

Anyway, this morning I'll be eating:

2 eggs, fried in coconut oil
    1/2c. blueberries
    Salad greens with olive oil

Massive veggie stew for dinner.

Take 2 pounds of pot roast slow cooked for 12+ hours and dump it in a pot. Add stewed tomatoes and tomato paste. Add broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower and whatever other vegetable you can find.

cook on low for 2 hours.

enjoy!

I really, really, REALLY crave BBQ. Anyone have a good vinegar based sauce they wish to share that is Whole30 Compliant?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I haven't eaten all day and I'm still just not hungry. Last night's dinner was beef sauteed in orange juice (from an orange) and coconut oil with cauliflower, cucumber, red and orange bell pepper, pineapple and onions seasoned with garlic, pepper and crushed red pepper. Deeelish!

I'm going to fry up a few eggs before I leave for work because knowing me I'll all of a sudden get famished 10 minutes after walking in the door.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast