Thread: Low Fat = Higher Sugar Yogurt page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

So I'm walking past the yogurt section at the GS, and I see a couple of new containers. "Greek Yogurt." Oh, says I, this is encouraging. Maybe I don't have to go to Hole Foods for my infrequent yogurt cravings. Half the price, too.

I picked up the new full fat variety, it has 280 calories for 8 ounces. The sugar was 7 grams, and I believe that's as low as it can get due to lactose. So then I checked out the Low Fat version; 220 calories and 23 flipping grams of sugar! They take out some of the fat and add back 64 sugar calories!

Why? Why? Why?

Tarlach is offline Member

I'm the dairy grump too.

Yogurt isn't food

Food needs fat, sugar or salt to make it taste good to the average SAD eater. The paranoia about fat means more sugar or products won't sell.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

hannahc is offline Senior Member

"Light" yogurt was one of the first "health foods" that I cut out almost 2 years ago. Way pre-Primal. It was all about the high fructose corn syrup for me, once I realized that the freaking stuff was in my bread, my pasta, my snacks, and even my yogurt I decided I'd had enough! It was one of my first steps leading me here now that I think about it.

But for realsies, why did we ever let our food get so sweet?

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

I used to drink quite a bit of whole milk. I don't at all, now. A couple of ounces of hard cheese a day, and maybe 8 oz of yogurt in a couple of weeks. Not so bad, eh?

The non-fat (cuz this is weight loss) I get at Hole Foods has only 140 calories. I've looked at every yogurt there, I think, and ALL of them except this Voskos has sugar added. And it's just fine tasting, although I look forward to full fat indulgences.

grandma is offline Member

It is such an irony that to make low fat food taste good they add sugar and of course it is really the sugar that makes you fat.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

fotakou is offline Junior Member

Here in Greece,stranded Greek yogurt has 4 grams of carbs,7 grams of protein and 10(wow) grams of fat for every 100 grams of yogurt.The taste is not even sweet and if you get used to eat is a nice combo with some cocoa powder,some almonds/walnuts and a teaspoon of honey.Not to mention some really nice sauces you can make

That nutritional data looks about the same as the Voskos when converted to 8 oz. Interesting about he cocoa powder. I've put that in coconut milk milk with fair success. A heaping TBL spoon has something like 2 grams of carbs.

I read not long ago that the sugar content of foods is derived at by subtracting the starch, proteins, and fats, what's left is sugar. (I think I have that correct.) And that yogurt really has no sugar, or almost no sugar left, it's a quirk of this method of determining sugar.

The main thing, of course, is to avoid added sugar.