Thread: Gramma Holla's Longevity Secret! page

theholla is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Gramma Holla's Longevity Secret!

Mr. Holla's grandma is in her 80s, but no one would guess it. She is active and energetic. She works part time to keep from getting bored. She cooks like a fiend. She rides the stationary bike every day. Plus, she is practically wrinkle-free!

She's also overweight, a lifelong smoker, and has a diet of traditional Southern cooking that is far from optimal by anyone's standard, CW or PB (she loves her bacon and her biscuits). She never exercised until a few months ago. She is mildly diabetic.

Recently, she lost a good friend who she had known for decades. Her friend was her age, but had been deteriorating physically for years. If Gramma seems like she's in her 60s, her friend seemed like she was 100.

The day after the funeral, we were sitting in her kitchen talking about how she and her friend had aged so differently, and Gramma revealed how she believes she has stayed healthy into her 80s:

"I don't stress. I don't dwell on things I can't change. I say a prayer, and let it be."
    Stress reduction is one of the hardest parts of the hardest parts of the PB for me, and I know that many of you experience a similar problem. This was a great reminder for me that not only will obsessing over your problems not fix them, but it can wear you down physically. For optimal health, we need to relax!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cortisol/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/its-the-stress/

Have a stress-free day, everyone!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    good tip

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    One of my grandmothers was an angel that slipped down from heaven. I'm firmly convinced of this. I never saw her get angry or stressed out or anything. The only thing that bummed her ever was when her RA started taking away her ability to sketch and collage. I have modeled my stress relief after something she said long ago, when I was freaking over something (now I know to be) inconsequential.
    Life goes on. Live it, don't dwell on it. God wouldn't have made you to be miserable.
    While I'm not religious in ANY sense of the word, this is something I live by. You choose to be happy, you choose to be miserable. You choose to be a stress puppy, you choose to let it go. Life is choices, make the ones that make you happy.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I like that. Thanks for sharing. I get so passive-aggressively built up about the stupidest stuff.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Why would anyone choose to be miserable?

I was miserable in the past and am now quite content. I can't recall ever making a choice to be either.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I was told many years ago that the secret to a long life was to just keep having birthdays.

That is a very Zen-like answer, but I think it works.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Milty is offline Senior Member
    I've no doubt stress would cause deteriorating effects but I certainly cannot see it being as drastic a deal breaker as the OP's story.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @naiadknight - Your grandmother sounds wonderful! My grandma is far from an angel, and I've definitely seen things piss her off. But, she has a wonderful ability to laugh at those things and get on with her life.

@roach - I think that for some people, misery comes easy and being content is a challenge. There was a definite point in my life where I had to choose to stop dwelling on the negative.

@periquin - Ha! I think that a Zen-like approach is absolutely perfect when it comes to aging.

@milty - I did not mean to imply that her friend died of stress by any means - she was in her 80s, after all. But, as my grandma has gotten older and seen her peers deteriorate physically, she has personally attributed her longevity to being able to cope with stress. I'm sure that good genes and luck have played a significant part as well!
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout