Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What constitutes as heavy lifting? page

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I keep track of my workouts throughout the week by labeling it either an H day (HIIT/sprint), an L.H. day (lifting heavy), or an M.S. day (moving slowly). My general fitness goal is to get STRONGER and FASTER. Weight loss does not really concern me.

Lately I've been considering an hour of P90x weight lifting routine "lifting heavy" by using 12 lbs dumbbells, and adjusting the exercises accordingly so I get the most out of it with my weights.

However, sometimes I'm not sure how to categorize my routines. For example, I just completed this workout:

20 squats with dumbbell

10 extended push-ups

20 single arm dumbbell swings (each side)

20 walking lunges (each leg)

20 double arm dumbbell swings

20 mountain climbers

10 close push-ups

20 rows (each side)

Rest for about a minute or so, then repeat 3x. It took me a little less than a half hour.

I suppose using your own body weight could be considered "heavy lifting." Right? What do you think?

Oh, and off topic, went to have some coconut milk in my coffee and it sort of smelt..egg-ish. Does this mean it's spoiled? Didn't taste horribly off...Been in the fridge in a thermos since Monday or so I bet...

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

This seems more like it would be in the HIIT category, in that it's primarily aerobic. (Which isn't to say that it won't increase your strength.)

I don't know that there's any definitive answer to "what is heavy lifting". Heck, for a little old lady, a soup can probably seems like heavy lifting!

For me, if I can do a particular lift more than 10 times, then I don't consider it lifting heavy.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Concur with dragonmama. If you can do more than 8 to 10 reps, you're not working hard enough.

Ohh, good point, I like that. Well, I do end up struggling pretty damn hard to get out my last push-ups, and my rows weren't looking too pretty at the end of the last circuit...

Now I understand why bodyweight exercises don't really apply to heavy lifting too much. But, couldn't more reps balance it out? If you're working super hard to get through your last rep, shouldn't that be enough?

Vick is offline Senior Member

for me lifting is 1 rep.

Here are some lifts from this week.

Squat 405

deadlift 405

bench press 295

curl 225

Shrug 325

This is pperformed at the maximum point of leverage and I only lift about 1-2 inches for 5-10 seconds.

The logic is that high weight and location of movement triggers low twitch, high twitch type one and high twitch type two muscles. A failure at this point send the meassge more muscle is required and that triggers growth. Strength goes hand in hand with muscle size.

I've been doing this for seven weeks and I'm very pleased with my progress.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

I'd still keep intensity high and reps low, as that seems to be the healthiest way to get the best results in the least amount of time. You could:

- Add more weight to your body (ankle weights, weighted vest, etc)

- Change positions to get less leverage (for pushups, hands more under your chest than your shoulders)

- Find new and different exercises, especially ones that rely on doing them for a given amount of time rather than a certain number of reps. These gymnastic routines are absolutely, crushingly brutal IMO:

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/articles1.html

I don't expect to ever make it past the first stage planch ("frog squat" -- love the name!) but if I do, y'all will be the first to know

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Not really, because when you do one exercise after another in rapid-fire fashion or add the reps, it becomes an endurance workout. Lifting a 12 lb dumbbell a hundred times will not give you the same result as lifting a 120 lb barbell 10 times.

Plus, the idea of a lifting workout is progressive resistance; that is, to work your way up to lifting heavier weights.

Body weight exercises are fantastic for building strength if done properly, however. Anyone who says otherwise has never met a gymnast! But I don't think most people have the ability to train like a gymnast without having a coach.

Lifting weights also provides you with a definite, quantifiable way to measure your progress.

It's just that I'm a little nervous to pick up a barbell again, I've performed deadlifts with them before but I had somebody watching my form. I attempted it on my own again last weekend, and my back was a *bad* sore. So, I've been trying to do more *safe* exercises in order to keep my back intact.

I suppose I might have to go fill my backpack with sand and see what I can do with that. Has anybody tried the do-it-yourself exercise equipment, such as that pipe with the water in it? Looks interesting AND challenging...

Vick is offline Senior Member

This is a video similiar to how I do my dead lift. I try and hold for 5-10 seconds. It is probably the safest way to lift. My son is a phys ed teacher and rugby player. He is the one who suggested this method of lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpzW...eature=related

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Lifting heave is lifting heavy weight with low reps... failing on rep 5 max. IMO

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast