Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second week of primal eating--weight loss stalled page

NKatz is offline Member

Second week of primal eating--weight loss stalled

Shop Now
    So, my first week on, I lost seven pounds in one week! It was awesome, and I'm feeling great. The only thing is that the weight loss seems to have stalled, and I'm thinking my diet may need some tweaks.

Basically, breakfast, lunch, and all snacks are strictly primal--eggs, meat, vegetables, some fruit....no soy, no legumes, no grains, extremely limited dairy. Dinner is almost always perfectly primal. I usually eat about one piece of fruit a day, and I usually include about 1 oz of organic 85% dark chocolate and a little bit of red wine as well.

Also, I'm exclusively nursing my five month old son, so I don't want to diminish my supply in any way.

Should I continue as I am, eliminate some or all of the fruit, eliminate the wine, eliminate the chocolate, or eliminate some combination? Increase the exercise? What do you guys think?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Oh, way early for pressing the panic button! Just keep on as you are.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

katzilla is offline Senior Member
    Also, you should measure yourself. It's quite possible that you're packing on muscle. It's kind of a better litmus test for weight loss. For example, I haven't lost any weight so far this week, but I have lost 2 waist inches. Go figure.
    5 foot 5 female.
    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Don't stress about the week to week, just keep on keepin' on and it will happen. I lost 7 lbs in week 1, 1 in week 2, 0 in week 3, 2 in week 4, etc. There are so many other factors to consider.

And I totally agree with Katzilla! I didn't measure myself when I started and wish I had. I am down from a size 10 to 6 and would love to see the inches!

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    agree with Morgan above. After the initial start, I would look for a pound a week as a reasonable goal. This is a journey not a race,lol.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    All of the above... keep in mind you're not "losing weight" you're changing your body composition... losing FAT and gaining muscle. This means the scale is not a good measure of what's going on in your body. You may lose fat and gain muscle at a rate that sometimes will see you GAIN weight... yet LOSE size. So measurements for sure... and patience! There will never be a "steady" weight loss for the most part. As your body works it may have time where you've lost weight, but your cells are holding onto the water for a couple of weeks... then the water will be released and you'll see a weight loss... it's not consistent.

It really helps if you learn a lot about what's going on and get out of the CW track of x calories should lead to x pounds lost per day which is x pounds per week. Cuz your body really doesn't work that way...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    second WEEK??? Nothing has even HAPPENED yet. Give it time already!

NKatz is offline Member
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I think I was just afraid that when the weight loss stopped, it indicated that I was doing something wrong. I'll keep on as I am for now and see how things go. Also, I like the idea of measuring! I think that'll be really motivating.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NKatz View Post
    Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I think I was just afraid that when the weight loss stopped, it indicated that I was doing something wrong. I'll keep on as I am for now and see how things go. Also, I like the idea of measuring! I think that'll be really motivating.
    such a big amount of weight loss in the first week is most likely water weight. as you decrease your carb intake, your body will hold less and less water. the weight should continue to come off if you're staying primal, it will just come off a little slower (including not at all sometimes).

sgalley2 is offline Junior Member
    Stay on the primal horse and stay the course. And I echo the others in saying that you need to MEASURE yourself not only weigh yourself, especially if you are doing PB Fitness (try it if you haven't). Same thing was happening to me (weight loss stalling) but my measurements are changing and one week later the weight loss started up again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast