Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you eat when you're sick? page

alireb is offline Member

What do you eat when you're sick?

Primal Fuel
    Woke up with a cold this morning and not sure I'll be able to stomach my normal PB meals. I did manage some scrambled eggs in coconut oil and I'm having some tea right now. Thank goodness I have some chicken soup in the freezer so I put that out to defrost and will eat them when I'm hungry. I just have no idea what will sound good for dinner. I'm not sure if my BAS will be in the cards today.

I think this cold is from lack of sleep since I'm the only one sick in the house and I normally only get something if my son is sick. I think my body is rebelling.

What primal foods do you eat when you're sick?

ennasirk is offline Senior Member
    Soup, soup, and more soup (sounds like you're already on that). What about some roasted veggies instead of your BAS? The warmth, texture, and flavor is appealing with a cold.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Just what you had--scrambled eggs and my homemade soup. I try to keep servings of soup in the freezer all the time. And lots and lots of tea for hydration.

If I happen to have GI upsets (virus), I'll usually just have tea and fast from food because a doctor once told me that's the best thing to do--just stay hydrated.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Generally, when I feel sick, my stomach gets weird so I eat what feels good (and don't care about macro nutrient ratios). Last night I was sick with a SUPER bad sore throat, I drank tons of bone broth and made this primal coconut apple pudding (but I ate it hot) and some apple sauce I had on hand. If I'd had coconut water, I would have had plenty of that too. Mmmm! When a sore throat isn't an issue, like the others, I eat lots of soup.

Feel better soon!

melodious is offline Senior Member
    I'm with jqbancroft - go with what feels good at the moment. Don't try to plan 12 hours in advance when you're sick.
    That said, in addition to teas and soups, I tend to also like cooked fruit with cinnamon and butter. Like heat up some frozen berries and a banana in a frying pan with butter and put on some cinnamon. Comfort food for me.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    If you're not hungry then don't eat. Fasting is a good way of getting rid of colds quickly. Look at animals and children- they don't want to eat when they're sick. There's a reason for this but CW tells us it isn't healthy to skip meals.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I make a lot of Chicken soup and sleep a lot.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

alireb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I make a lot of Chicken soup and sleep a lot.
    Luckily I have tons of chicken soup in the freezer but the sleep thing is a challenge since I have a three year old in the house and he doesn't nap.

I'm only planning to eat when hungry and right now just trying to drink tea and water.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Been sick here, too, and having the same questions. Am only getting my appetite back slowly. Aside from fresh organic oranges, I stayed away from all sugar sources -- sweets and starches and milk.

jrherring is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    homemade chicken soup. something i do with mine...i leave the bones from the carcass in it the entire time. even when in the freezer. i want every drop of nutrient from those bones that i can get.

just be careful when eating. lol.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Yr 42

Yr 41

February Whole 30-ish

start. stop. start.stop...now ramping up to cruising speed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast