Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shirataki Noodles? page

Izzylu is offline Senior Member

Shirataki Noodles?

Shop Now
    Has anyone heard of or used these? A friend of mine doing a low carb HCG thing says she can't live without them. No net carbs but just wondering if they fall into the primal category. I thought I'd heard of everything but apparently not. I'll definitely order some if they do.
    Strong is the new Skinny!

eraserheadgirl Guest
    There are two types of shirataki noodles, the original one, made from the root of the konjac plant, and the other one made with tofu. I think the best bet is the original one, made just from the root.

Izzylu is offline Senior Member
    I saw the Tofu ones in Whole Foods yesterday. I think I'll order the others on line and give it a shot. I'm excited to try something new!
    Strong is the new Skinny!

Jomp is offline Junior Member
    Just ordered the original ones on-line. I'm too interested to know if they are not primal?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Shiratake noodles are just konjac root fiber, so they are Primal. Konjac is even used in some supplements to control blood sugar levels in diabetics and increase satiety.

Some brands have a way better texture (less chewy) than others. I like Shirakiku brand. You can find them at any Asian market in the refrigerated Japanese section. I always rinse them and boil them for a few minutes in salted water to infuse them with a bit of flavor and remove the sea weedy smell. You can also pulse them in a food processor to "rice" them

I blogged about them last summer: http://prettyinprimal.blogspot.com/2...mal-pasta.html

Valarauko is offline Senior Member
    Shirataki noodles are one of the 'go to' ingredients in the popular Japanese Dish sukiyaki.
    Shirataki noodles and konnyaku in general are very popular diet foods here in Japan due to the No carb/very low calorie factor, gluten free, alkaline, mineral rich.
    Seems to be pretty good for a primal diet.
    I don't mind Konnyaku, but it is pretty tasteless stuff.

Here is my New Years day Sukiyaki (excuse the tofu - I didn't eat any) Shirataki noodles are at the top.

pebblehead is offline Member
    I love shirataki noodles! I don't eat them all the time, but when you're looking for a casserole or some other "comfort food" they're a really good bet.

LowCarbPrincess is offline Junior Member
    Are these similar to Kelp Noodles?

Paleobird Guest
    I've seen these at Asian markets but always assumed because they said YAM noodles on the front that they were massively carby. Good to know.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Faux Pho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast