Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cutting out Fruit page 4

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I was focused on low-carb (before I discovered primal eating), I DID cut out fruit. Since going primal/paleo, I eat fruit but sparingly. No more than 1 - 2 servings a day AT THE MOST. Usually one, sometimes none, and my fruit of choice is berries. But I am actively trying to lose fat. One thing that sucks is I love fruit so much more than veggies. Lol.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Im also doing a no fruit trial, been 5 days or so now and sugar cravings are almost gone now. Ive also been super strict with absolutely no grains this month and my skin is looking a lot better then usually, will keep this up the month out and see how it goes.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I used to be a committed fruit eater, eating 2 - 3 pieces per day. I cut it out almost entirely for quite awhile (couple of months) and now I enjoy 2 - 3 servings per week. I've found that now that I'm mostly free from sugar cravings, that a piece of fruit once in awhile feels like a big treat, and it tastes so much better than it used to. In my old days, I would scoff at people who would say they could eat a piece of fruit for "dessert." I thought "no way. Fruit isn't dessert. Cake or ice cream is dessert!" Now that I'm free from refined sugar, a piece of fruit a few times a week is a perfect dessert.

We subscribe to an organic home produce delivery service so we eat what comes in our box. This time of year, it's usually a few apples or pears and a few citrus items. Looking forward to berries and cherries when spring rolls around to the Northern hemisphere again.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I'm especially lucky, but I lost all my weight still eating one or two daily servings of fruit, usually with meals. I ate two bananas yesterday (just 28 short of perfect nutrition!). Everyone's different, though, and I'm sure I could have lost my weight faster than I did.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Maybe I'm especially lucky, but I lost all my weight still eating one or two daily servings of fruit, usually with meals. I ate two bananas yesterday (just 28 short of perfect nutrition!). Everyone's different, though, and I'm sure I could have lost my weight faster than I did.
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to make of the fruit thing. I always kept it pretty low while losing weight. But when I did my Whole30, I didn't count a calorie or worry about carbs at all, just making sure I only ate whole foods - beef, chicken, fish, eggs, veggies, fruit, and nuts. The only thing I kind of kept in check was the nuts. I ate quite a bit of food on lots of days, and I had several days where I'd have a banana (b'nancakes), an apple or 2, and a big handful or two of grapes in a day. Way more fruit than I was used to eating, but my thinking was that I wasn't trying to lose weight, just eat healthy food for 30 days.

It was jaw-dropping to have lost another 11 pounds, to say the least. If someone had handed me my 30 day food log a few months ago and asked my opinion of what would happen to the random, pretty inactive 170 pound guy who it belonged to, I'd have guessed either no change or a slight weight gain.

I guess I'm saying it's a pretty personal thing. There are a lot of variables at work and it's tough to say what will happen - self experimentation is necessary.

That said, I'm going to rock a Whole20 starting tomorrow (20 days until a holiday) and I'm considering no fruit just for kicks.

Bane is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, another reason for it is cost. I bought some green grapes the other day, not even a big bag at all, and it was almost $6. After getting it home and cleaning them I realized that about half the bag was a little "off" - kind of shriveled just ever so slightly, and the taste was pretty bad. $6 of hamburger would have gone a whole lot further.

swakemen is offline Junior Member
    I have terrible skin, not just severe acne, but winter dryness, roscea, Fordyce spots, rashes.. it's a nightmare. I use to live off of fruit before Primal, but now I only eat a small bowlful of frozen blueberries before bedtime, and to be honest, there is absolutely no change in my skin. Of course, there are other changes.. but it hasn't made a difference for me. Maybe I'll try cutting fruit out entirely for a few.. just to see..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234