Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Low diastolic blood pressure? page

  1. #1
    Bostonbully's Avatar
    Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Newton, NH
    Posts
    695

    Low diastolic blood pressure?

    Shop Now
    So I just got my annual physical at work and I had a blood pressure of 116/58. Not extremely low considering the low is 60 but I was wondering if anyone knew why this could be low. My at rest heart beat was 55 beats/min. My cholesterol was great, and I weight 60 pounds less then I did for last years physical.
    "Live Free or Die"

  2. #2
    Rud3d0g's Avatar
    Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    121
    Do you fast at all? I sometimes hit around 60 after after a 36+ hour fast - salt depletion I think. Still funny to me since I was on high blood pressure meds from my early 20s till 2 months ago.

    also Magnesium and niacin can drop it
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

  3. #3
    Bostonbully's Avatar
    Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Newton, NH
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Rud3d0g View Post
    Do you fast at all? I sometimes hit around 60 after after a 36+ hour fast - salt depletion I think. Still funny to me since I was on high blood pressure meds from my early 20s till 2 months ago.

    also Magnesium and niacin can drop it
    I IF (16 hr fasts) daily. I also take mulitivitamins which have mag and niacin in them. The nurse didn't seem concerned, but I was curious why it was like that.
    "Live Free or Die"

  4. #4
    Bostonbully's Avatar
    Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Newton, NH
    Posts
    695
    FYI I apologize for putting this in the success stories section. I messed up.
    "Live Free or Die"

  5. #5
    primalpilgrim's Avatar
    primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    170
    58 diastolic pressure is not extremely low. Was the measurement done with an automated machine or manually? Machines tend to be a little off. The manual method is more accurate.

    Having said that, the diastolic pressure measures the filling of the left ventricle prior to blood ejection to the aorta. Low pressure in the absence of other symptoms or known pathologies, simply means the size of the ventricle may have become larger (more volume = lower pressure) which tallies with your resting heart rate of 55 bpm. Taken together it suggests improved stroke-volume efficiency over the average adult.

    Weight loss, regular exercise, especially short anaerobic workouts will produce such outcomes.

  6. #6
    Noctiluca's Avatar
    Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by primalpilgrim View Post
    Having said that, the diastolic pressure measures the filling of the left ventricle prior to blood ejection to the aorta. Low pressure in the absence of other symptoms or known pathologies, simply means the size of the ventricle may have become larger (more volume = lower pressure) which tallies with your resting heart rate of 55 bpm. Taken together it suggests improved stroke-volume efficiency over the average adult.
    I will disagree a bit here. Diastolic pressure does not measure the filling of the left ventricle. It measures the residual pressure in the arteries in between heart beats. There are many things that can effect this number. Anything that causes relaxation of the veins (thus reducing back pressure into the arteries) is one. As mentioned above, magnesium can do this since it is a smooth muscle relaxant. Many blood pressure medications also work by relaxing or preventing the constriction of systemic veins. Exercise can also cause this because like any other muscle you exercise the muscles of your veins become more fit and can relax more and also constrict more as well as constrict quicker as needed.
    As you exercise your heart will become more efficient as well but should NOT enlarge! Enlargement of the left ventricle makes it LESS efficient. An enlarged ventricle is stretched out essentially.
    Now the lower heart rate will to a small degree effect the diastolic pressure but it has a much greater effect on the systolic pressure. That being said there is nothing wrong with a resting heart rate of 55 or a blood pressure of 116/58 as long as you are not experiencing any signs of low blood pressure like getting light headed or dizzy. And in fact if they took your pressure again it could have jumped back up to 120/64 or dropped a few points lower, etc. Blood pressure is a fluid thing (no pun intended!) and fluctuates a small amount almost constantly.

  7. #7
    Bostonbully's Avatar
    Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Newton, NH
    Posts
    695
    Thanks alot.
    "Live Free or Die"

  8. #8
    Grizz's Avatar
    Grizz is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,879
    BostonBully,
    Your BP is admirable, and indicates excellent cardiovascular health. What counts is the difference between systolic & diastolic and this gives you a pump pressure of 116-58 = 58

    Be thankful, my good man. Did you know that a Vitamin D3 deficiency can result in leaky heart valve disease, per Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis?
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=leaky

    See Vitamin D Special Report below for more,
    Grizz

  9. #9
    Bostonbully's Avatar
    Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Newton, NH
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    BostonBully,
    Your BP is admirable, and indicates excellent cardiovascular health. What counts is the difference between systolic & diastolic and this gives you a pump pressure of 116-58 = 58

    Be thankful, my good man. Did you know that a Vitamin D3 deficiency can result in leaky heart valve disease, per Cardiologist Dr. Wm Davis?
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=leaky

    See Vitamin D Special Report below for more,
    Grizz

    I take a vitamin D supp on top of my multi vitamin. Thanks for the info though.
    "Live Free or Die"

  10. #10
    primalpilgrim's Avatar
    primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    170
    Noctiluca, you are referring a typical enlarged heart in a sedentary person. Athletes also have echocardiographically confirmed enlarged hearts due to cardiac hypertrophy from exercise. Links here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17375887
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19771749


    Re: disastolic pressure, I was referring to cardiac diastolic pressure. You are referring to branchial pressure...Link here: http://www.cvphysiology.com/Blood%20Pressure/BP002.htm
    Last edited by primalpilgrim; 01-12-2011 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •