Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Binge Eating page 2

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid317 View Post
    I find sugar, or any carbs really, do it for me. Also, when I've been letting myself "cheat" and eat things like ice cream, it makes it harder to break the cycle. Even if I haven't eaten anything sweet, if I'm just craving something sweet I will binge. I had squash last night with dinner and I wonder if that was enough to set off a binge, because did I ever binge.
    Same here - I had sweet potatoes the other day, and it wasn't even the sweet potatoes that triggered my binge - it was the single-serving size packet of maple almond butter I had with them. I know it's not the same for everyone, but knowing what your trigger foods are and avoiding them is really important. It's hard to remember that eating terribly will make me feel bad for a few days afterward, but by the time I'm into a binge, I'm not really thinking.
    It sucks, but I'm slowly learning to deal with it.

hermanda is offline Senior Member
    To Easerheadgirl
    Oh I know THOSE dates it really is a gateway thing for me I believe. Once I start it can feel like I'm being sucked down a vortex, but I also very often don't have to worry about that because I don't WANT to start. I won't have any cravings or desire to eat those foods. My blood sugar has felt a bit more shaky lately and when I was a teen boy was the old sugar crash familiar. What would make me hypoglycemic? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by hermanda; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Lolov,
    Oh wow thank you so much! i really think that is it. It's been so bad my mother started talking prozac the other day and then I shut down even more and went into a fog. That really helped
    I'm taking 5000iu of Vit D, and Natural Calm Mag at night, but will look into the others today. I've recently started to have periods again after a car accident "rebooted" my hypothalamus and messed with my brain's communication on hormone production (3.5 yr battle and 4 months into paleo helloooooo period!) Anyway I was concerned about messing with 5 HTP because it is a hormone but L-Theanine should be fine because it's an amino acid yes? And I've heard of SAM-E but must check the details. Many many thanks!!
    Last edited by hermanda; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    Same here - I had sweet potatoes the other day, and it wasn't even the sweet potatoes that triggered my binge - it was the single-serving size packet of maple almond butter I had with them. I know it's not the same for everyone, but knowing what your trigger foods are and avoiding them is really important. It's hard to remember that eating terribly will make me feel bad for a few days afterward, but by the time I'm into a binge, I'm not really thinking.
    lol! God it's really not funny but it was a freaking sweet potato that did me in too. Put almond butter on the dang thing. A freaking sweet potato? I'm mean come on system, get a grip. Thanks!

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    To Easerheadgirl
    Oh I know THOSE dates it really is a gateway thing for me I believe. Once I start it can feel like I'm being sucked down a vortex, but I also very often don't have to worry about that because I don't WANT to start. I won't have any cravings or desire to eat those foods. My blood sugar has felt a bit more shaky lately and when I was a teen boy was the old sugar crash familiar. What would make me hypoglycemic? Thanks for your help!
    I was wondering if you had hypoglycemia because it is often associated with binging on sugars to raise dropped glucose levels. I have this problem and so do some of my other friends. I'm not suggesting you do have it, I was just curious. Here is a Mayo clinic link on hypoglycemia for ya: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyp...SECTION=causes

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hermanda View Post
    Lolov,
    Oh wow thank you so much! i really think that is it. It's been so bad my mother started talking prozac the other day and then I shut down even more and went into a fog. That really helped
    I'm taking 5000iu of Vit D, and Natural Calm Mag at night, but will look into the others today. I've recently started to have periods again after a car accident "rebooted" my hypothalamus and messed with my brain's communication on hormone production (3.5 yr battle and 4 months into paleo helloooooo period!) Anyway I was concerned about messing with 5 HTP because it is a hormone but L-Theanine should be fine because it's an amino acid yes? And I've heard of SAM-E but must check the details. Many many thanks!!
    Yeah, 5-HTP can be weird. If you can find a holistic-inclined psychiatrist, that's a good resource, but they are few and far between!!! I'm not even sure WHAT part of my regimen made the most difference (other than the L-theanine) because I did it all at once. Probably not the best for figuring out what works, but something worked LOL and I'm down with not knowing yet whichi t is. Once I've been stable for six months, I'll remove them one at a time and see what happens... well, not the D, mag or zinc LOL... but the other stuff. From everything I read about L-theanine, they can't even tell what a "toxic" dose is because no one has ever OD'd on it WOOT! I can't recommend that highly enough.

Depression sucks... I hope you feel better soon!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You may find this current thread super helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d-and-confused It's all about binge eating, amino acids and supps. Lots of moving anecdotal stuff as well.

And if you're wary of 5-HTP, you could always try L-Tryptophan instead--its an amino acid that converts to 5-HTP I believe. You may need to take it w/ another vitamin/min/supp to improve absorption/aid the conversion...

HTH!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    You may find this current thread super helpful: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d-and-confused It's all about binge eating, amino acids and supps. Lots of moving anecdotal stuff as well.

And if you're wary of 5-HTP, you could always try L-Tryptophan instead--its an amino acid that converts to 5-HTP I believe. You may need to take it w/ another vitamin/min/supp to improve absorption/aid the conversion...

HTH!
    Hey that's a wonderful link. Thanks. And I bought the L-Tryptophan today:-) Here's hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    That is completely my trigger; sweet potatoes and almond butter. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this Achilles heel

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    What?! 5-HTP is not a hormone. Where did you get that? It is an amino acid.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast