Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torn Meniscus! (owwww) page

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey you guys (and gals),

I am super bummed out. I hurt my knee about three weeks ago; have been waiting for it to get better while trying to exercise around it.

Well, yesterday it got really bad, to the point where I could hardly walk. I just got back from a visit to a Sports Medicine doc, and she says I probably have a torn meniscus.

This is NOT good news, as I am unemployed and have no insurance... but I think I can talk the hospital into a time-payment plan for the MRI, at least. If I need surgery ...not sure what will happen then.

The good news is that she says some people spontaneously recover without surgery---could I impose upon all of you good people to send some good healing energy my way?

grandma is offline Member

Grok didn't need no stinking surgery! Ok, that's not advice to ignore the doc. Just a "grok on!" sort of positive affirmation

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Thanks, Sir!!!

I WILL beat this stupid injury....

Geoff is offline Member

Wow. Good energy - and lots - coming your way right now.

FWIW I tore my medial meniscus when I was 15 - initially wrestling and then more extensively through soccer. Had about 90% of it removed. Doctors said I'd be walking with a cane by 40. I'm 39-1/2 now and led a very active (and cane free) life since. You recover from it, but first you need to know what you're looking at in terms of how extensive the tear is. Some small tears can be repaired but, as I understand it healing of menisci is slow. So removal is often the first alternative.

Is there someone you can speak to and see whether you qualify for Medicaid or another state-administered health care program?

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

kuno1chi,

Owww!

I don't want to dwell on the negative, as you've got enough with that tear.

But I'm sending some good healing vibes your way, and visualizing the repair for you.

I really hope you do spontaneously recover.

Or that you have a "mis-diagnosis" and it's something much less serious.

-Sean

maba is offline Senior Member

Oh dear Kuno! Sending TONS of healing vibes your way. I hope you recover w/o surgery. Like Sean says, I hope it is a mis-diagnosis.

@Geoff: Thanks for the info! Yeah, it's my medial as well. Gonna try to get an MRI so I can visualise the injury-that always seems to help me direct my energy properly.

@Sean, Well initially I though I had re-torn my MCL, so this is maybe somewhat better...doc has given me some things to do in the gym to try and get the swelling down, and she'll let me do all the upper-body I want. So at least I won't go crazy. Most of all, thanks for the healing vibes...

@maba: Thanks for the good energy. I really do not want to have surgery; will do almost anything to avoid it. Thanks for all the support!!!

cc40 is offline Junior Member

Aaaaahhhh, the meniscus tear. Bummer. I, like Geoff, tore my left lateral meniscus when I was a teenager (1984). Since then, I've torn both laterals, and both medial meniscus. My last surgery was in 2003; that one made 10 total so far. The thing about the meniscus tears is that they can heal, or get smoothed down by movement of the joint. However, sometimes the tear will flip over, causing pressure and pain. This takes surgery to fix the problem, regardless of Grok's lack of surgical choices. The surgery is an in-out procedure these days, and you'll be walking immediately. They don't even give you crutches anymore for this heal time.

I guess if I had any advice for you it would be to do some PT exercises at home for awhile, see if the pain subsides, and look for sports orthopedics that can help you if you'll absolutely need surgery. The "don't take risks" advice is also great advice. I only wish I had understood that as a kid that became a life-long skateboarder. My ACL's need to be replaced as well, but I'm waiting for this new technique using part of your own hamstring muscle to be common place.

Good luck with everything. I hope that you don't need surgery. Heal well.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

kuno1chi, that sucks!

Where do you live? I have my big flat rate priority mail box and am packing it tight with good energy and healing wishes. I really hope you get better and able to avoid the surgery.

@cc40: Well my doc and I looked at the MRI results yesterday, and it is the "flip over" kind (subluxed). She told me straight up that it won't get better w/o surgery, but I could probably keep it pretty asymptomatic with diligent Physio, which I am doing. What sucks is that I am unemployed, and have no insurance, so I have to put off the surgery. My goal is to work around the injury as much as possible- but sadly my dream of going into Law Enforcement is pretty much shattered :-( Plan B is to find a civilian job working with LEOs, then get the surgery at some later date. I'm just glad that I went in to see her---if I was out on the street as a cop and my knee locked up in a scuffle; I could have gotten a brother or sister officer hurt as well.

@cchip: Thanks so much for the support and healing vibes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast