Thread: Help! Kelp! page

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member

Help! Kelp!

Hey everyone,

I love love love kelp. So much that I impulsively bought these weird kelp noodles. They're totally primal, with net 0 carbs. I can't image these things offending any diet, honestly. They've got nearly nothing in them. I mainly eat them for the trace elements and texture.

I'm also a longtime devotee to dried wakame and other sea vegetables. But now that I'm primal, I'm wondering how to get out of my traditional seaweed salad ways to ditch the sesame oil and tamari (it's wheat free, as I'm gluten intolerant), two things that aren't the worst but also aren't so amazing for a primal eater.

Anyway, if you've got any great ideas for kelp and other sea vegetables, please share them here!

peril is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't sweat on eating tamari - its a fermented product so should be very low in anti-nutrients. Sesame oil isn't so good but not something used in large quantities so not too much to worry about. Throw in some dashi flakes to get some omega-3 to balance out the omega-6 of the sesame oil
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    LOVE, love, love kaiso and consider the dressing to be part of my 20%. I'm too lazy to make it, but our local gourmet deli carries it and at $10 a pound I consider it a luxury and have it a few times a month...

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sesame oil is just for flavouring - you don't eat enough of it for it to be a problem, and wheat-free tamari's ok - much away! I love seaweed too, and so does my daughter. In one of the asian-centric grocery stores here I buy little snack-packs of nori roasted in olive oil, lightly salted - SO good, I haven't even wanted a potato chip since I found those. Way overpackaged, but if it's my worst environmental sin I'm ok with that.

Ever made your own wakame miso soup? (I think miso is ok, yes it's rice but it's all fermented and stuff, and you don't use much.) Get some kombu and put it in cold water. Bring the water to a boil, then turn it off and throw in a pack of bonito flakes. Cover and let stand. When the bonito flakes have all sunk to the bottom (about 5 min) strain the liquid into a different pot. Whisk in miso paste to taste (I like the white miso best) and bring to a simmer, then add wakame, as much as you like. YUM.