Thread: Organic = grassfed? page

eelnus is offline Senior Member

Organic = grassfed?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I was at Costco and they sell these nice vaccum packed organic beef. The packaging is very similar to the organic beef I get at Trade joes. But on the TJ's beef, it states that it is 100% grassfed. There is no mention of grassfed on the costco brand. So I didn't buy even though it is a great deal.
    So does organic always mean grassfed or do I need to be looking for both on the label?

Thanks.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    It must state both, unless you can contact the brand and ask, but most would absolutely specify that since it's a selling point.

If it's a good deal though, buy it, I buy conventional meat on sale all the time. I'd get grass fed more often but it's more of a bother on a price AND bother scale. I have to go way out of my way for GF so I don't bother to often.

That being said: grass fed is better in every sense of the word.

LEED3D is offline Member
    Nope. It's definitely important to pay close attention to the labels when buying meat. The meat is only 100% grass fed it the label says " 100% grassfed." Even if it just says grass-fed, the beef could still be grain finished. Organic just means the animal was fed an organic diet consisting of natural growing grains without the use of GMO's, pesticides, or other chemicals.

100% grass-fed is the best you can do!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup, that's what we learned here too. "pasture raised" and "free range" can also mean "grain finished."

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    My favorite are the brands that proudly state their animals are fed a whole grain diet. To the typical person this makes perfect sense because whole grains are healthy....

"What luck for those in power that people do not think" - A. Hitler

(No idea whether Hitler ever really said that, but I recall the quote being attributed to him)

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    true, true. there are whole chickens for sale (for cheap) at our local "trade joes" like place that say "100% grain fed!" and i'm like "ew."

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    well, they boast the grain-fed angle because it means they weren't fed any animal by-products, which they used to be able to get away with. yay for mad-cow disease!

but seriously, yeah. i think that if they're labeled organic it means they are somewhat pasture-fed, but unless it implicitly states, no dice. BUT, organic means no antibiotic regimen, which they can't really do if they're fed exclusively grain, so it's definitely better than the regular stuff. go for it! i know i would.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Noctiluca is online now Senior Member
    Organic = no antibiotics or other chemicals applied to the animal and also organic feed (meaning no pesticides or herbicides, etc) these animals can still be raised in industrial feedlots and fed large quantities of corn.
    Grass fed = eating grass but may have been 'finished' on grain. This is actually the way MOST cows are raised. They live on pasture for a while and then go to the feedlot
    100% grass fed or grass fed and finished = this cow lived on grass and or hay (dried grass) for its entire life.

As for some other critters
    Free range = not in cages and has 'access' to the outdoors. In the case of chickens where this is most used this means they are kept in the same huge closed in sheds that regularly caged chickens would live in. However they are not caged. So they are just on the floor with 20,000 other chickens, packed in wing to wing. There IS a door that is finally opened after the chickens are well accustomed to staying inside and it opens to a little yard that wouldn't hold all the chickens even if they did try to go outside.
    Pastured = Raised in a pasture. This is REALLY what you are looking for in chickens. Pigs also.