Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Ladies page

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)

Question Question for Ladies

Primal Fuel
    Okay - I'm seeing some changes that I"m wondering if they are related to my primal eating... I am hoping to get some fellow thoughts since I'm new to this.

My History
    Almost all normal periods from about 14 until very painful bouts in 2006 (I am now 34) that were finally diagnosed as StageIV (the worst stage) Endometriosis. Due to this I was put on Lupron, a hormonal medication, which basically puts one into menopause so I've had no period since 1/2008; with exceptions of VERY rare spotting. I went off the medication March 2009 to remove the adhesions due to endometriosis and my fabulous surgeon suggested a Mirena IUD to help control recurrence and painful symptoms that I had before surgery. And this is of course in addition to things like diet and exercise.. (I would basically sleep 2-3 days straight and be extremely weak and where even Vicodin would not help for pain - and even had pain during middle cycle and Vicodin didn't help that either.) Upon recovery of surgery I've only had a few spots - no real cycle to say... Now, about 20% of women on Mirena report they never get a cycle so it's not been a concern for me or ANY of my doctors. And no, it is NOT possible that I'm pregnant. Unless I'm the Virgin Mary but I really don't think so. Hehehehe .

Since Going Primal
    I started the evening of Dec 27th with going primal and am following this to a very tight tee (with the exception of New Year's Eve...). Mostly beef, bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, cheese, nuts, lots of veggies and some oranges and apples for my fruit; but usually only one serving of fruit/day. Is it possible, or does it make any sense that I might be spotting "more" in terms of how much and frequency?

Thanks ladies!
    -Jen
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Going Primal will definitely help your hormones balance, but usually it takes more time to see a shift--that said, I spoke to a woman who had been ttc for 3 years and finally conceived one month after going Primal (could be a coincidence, though.)

If you are concerned, I would see your doc to make sure you aren't having any issues with your IUD.

My last checkup was just a few months ago and my IUD has always been placed just fine - including the ultrasound that was just done last month. Not sure that would be the issue. I think it's actually nice not to have to deal with the "mess" every month so I don't miss my periods at all. :-D Of course, my greatest fear is that severe pain returns.
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

mayness is offline Senior Member
    From talking to other women, it seems that ANY drastic change in diet or exercise or just about anything else health-related can screw with your cycle temporarily - late periods, early periods, heavier periods, lighter periods... or maybe in your case, spotting where there was none before. So if you were eating very differently before (much higher carb or lots of grains), I don't doubt that the primal eating is what did it, but if that's the case I bet it will return to "normal" for you soon.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    From talking to other women, it seems that ANY drastic change in diet or exercise or just about anything else health-related can screw with your cycle temporarily - late periods, early periods, heavier periods, lighter periods... or maybe in your case, spotting where there was none before. So if you were eating very differently before (much higher carb or lots of grains), I don't doubt that the primal eating is what did it, but if that's the case I bet it will return to "normal" for you soon.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll just be patient; errr try to be anyway. Another one of my weaknesses! LOL. Thanks to all! I'm really enjoying the encouragement and support from the members here.
    My goal pic...

ljp
    ljp is offline Junior Member
    let me know how it goes for you, im on the pill and the last three months i have had a fair bit of spotting as well. really want it to settle down, pretty sick of not knowing when things are gonig to happen, for how long etc.
    fingers crossed it all settles down for both of us soon!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've had a hysterectomy so don't have periods anymore, but I still have ovaries so I still have a cycle. I found that at first it felt like stuff was happening to me hormonally. My boobs seemed to get really big and tender at first. And I felt like I got a lot of hot flashes. It's all evening out, the boobs have deflated, the hot flashes are way less frequent and my libido is improving. So yes, this diet can have hormonal effects, but I see it as changes you go through on the way to healing.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

seashells is offline Senior Member
    Recently my cycle has shortened to 26-27 days from 30-32 days. And they're a couple of days shorter with only one or two days of real bleeding. And less cramping. I don't know if I like it or not because I'm often caught unawares.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm 41 and had periods from hell in my early 30s, spent most of my 30s on the bcp, went off last year. I've found my cycle is a little bit better the more saturated fat I eat; I have been eating almost a pound of butter a week. I use a little progesterone cream also- maybe that would help even your cycle out. An irregular cycle from 30s to menopause is normal though, just part of the aging process. If you have/had endo though you probably have severe estrogen dominance- have you had your hormones tested? You might want to.

ljp
    ljp is offline Junior Member
    I found out something odd the other day (which is why i have had some random spotting on the pill also) St Johns Wort among many other things found in supplements, and some things that build up (but will level out in your hormones) from eating primal can cause your pill to malfunction.
    my dr was great about it, said to drop the supplements for a bit, keep a food diary for a bit. Once i dropped the mulit vitamin and dosed everything properly with my food intake, the spotting stopped.
    Maybe its something your body isn't used to eating yet, from a change in diet or a supplement you might be taking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast