Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about millet? page

NKatz is offline Member

What about millet?

Hey guys, any thoughts on millet? It's gluten free and hypoallergenic, and it's technically a seed, not a grain although it is treated much like a whole grain. Does this fall into the same gray area as brown rice and legumes?

Gathwh is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Not paleo, but not horrible.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

NKatz is offline Member
    Thanks for your replies and for the link! I had no idea about that. Basically I'm doing PB for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and almost all dinners, but I'm looking for a few non-wheat dinner cheats to keep things interesting and to keep my husband from freaking out...I was leaning towards including legumes, brown rice, millet and potatoes as cheats in the 20%.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I personally wouldn't eat millet...it is used in certain North African countries (in conjunction with camel milk) to fatten women for marriage!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...eding-marriage
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Millet, in my experience, is revolting; quinoa is much more edible, and quick and easy to cook. I don't know if there's anything to choose between them nutritionally... all that's required to keep my other half from freaking is potatoes, or occasionally sweet potatoes, and I don't mind eating a bit of either of those.

NKatz is offline Member
    @theholla--Yeah, I guess any food that is used for fattening is probably not what I want to go for. lol..

@Hilary--While I like quinoa, my husband (who is beyond fussy), haaaaaaaaaaates it, but he doesn't mind millet. Perhaps potatoes/rice/sweet potatoes will be my alternates.
    Last edited by NKatz; 01-11-2011 at 09:13 AM.

melodious is offline Senior Member
    Wow - that was an interesting article. I just posted it on Facebook so that my gluten-free friends can see it.
    That changes a lot.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    To be fair, I'm sure that they are gaining weight because they are force fed 2 kg of millet (2,400 calories), along with 2 cups of butter (3,250 calories), and 20 liters of camel milk (no idea how many calories, but 20 liters of cow milk has over 12,000), rather than just because they are eating millet!

Just as an interesting thought, when I was trying to find the nutrition info for camel milk I didn't have any luck, but I did read that it is unusually high in insulin: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/18278.php
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

surely5 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Maybe not so gluten-free--just found this on another thread.
    I'm glad this subject is getting a bit more press, though it's difficult to say exactly what all these different celiac sufferers are responding to in those grains (or grain-like seeds, etc.). Although some may be reacting to the gluten in them, others may be having an issue with the very large saccharide molecules in those foods. Those with a damaged gut will struggle to produce the necessary enzymes for those large molecules. Interesting stuff, all around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast