Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting Question page

prairiedog is offline Member

Intermittent Fasting Question

Primal Fuel
    I did a search on the whole forum but didn't really find an answer to my question so here goes:

I am on day 7 of PB. I have heard from many posts on the forum here that IF is something more advanced and should be done once the nutrition and diet portions are on solid ground. However, the PB also says don't eat if you're not hungry.

So here I am on day 7 and my last meal was yesterday around 12 and then a handful of nuts probably around 4pm. So its been 26 hours since my last meal and about 22 since any food went in my mouth. When I woke up this morning I was super pumped to make an awesome breakfast but I'm just not hungry. No pangs, no nothing. I could eat, I'm sure, but was wondering if its better to not eat if I'm not hungry.

How long should I go with this? I went for a long walk today and still don't feel any desire to eat.

Has this happened to anyone so early on? Should I wait it out?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    If you ain't hungry, don't eat. That said, not everyone feels hunger in their stomach. Everyone has different hunger triggers, from becoming an utter grouch, to a headache, to grumbly stomach. If you're feeling/ noticing YOUR hunger symptom, eat. If food sounds like a good idea, and it's not boredom/ time of day related, eat. If food sounds like a good idea, but the thought of eating doesn't sound too appetizing, wait. You get the idea.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Thanks. I don't feel grouchy, although I'm just home alone with my dogs, no grumbly stomach or anything out of the ordinary. I feel great, just no desire to eat. I guess I'll keep fasting until I'm ready to eat!

Digby is offline Senior Member
    I've done several water fasts and sometimes it is easier, other times I have to just plow through the first couple days. Take this as some good luck. I suspect the amount of stress we are having can make all sorts of efforts harder or easier.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Stay hydrated for sure. The hunger will come.

Balance is online now Senior Member
    That's awesome you have that level of satiety so soon in your PB journey. Keep it up but just don't overdo it since you are still within your first 30 days.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

There we go... I knew I'd get hungry eventually! Thanks for the feedback though, next time this happens I'll just ride it out. Now for a nice steak and salad.

Buttercup204 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiedog View Post
    There we go... I knew I'd get hungry eventually! Thanks for the feedback though, next time this happens I'll just ride it out. Now for a nice steak and salad.
    Not bad! I started IF with a 24 hour fast (6pm to 6pm) and found that having a PB background (and a very busy job) really eased it and made it super easy for me, beyond 24hours though and I get pretty hungry! Sometimes it's just easier to re-tune my food impulses and clear out the cobwebs and clear my head without food. Like taking a break from food decisions for a day or so! Welcome! I couldn't have done a fast so soon in my journey. You're a trooper!

primalpilgrim is offline Senior Member
    IF needs to be exactly that, intermittent and random. Some people implement this via an eating window (lunch & dinner but no breakfast), other people just select a meal at random to skip depending on their schedules. Find a meal to skip which works for you.

Skipping an ENTIRE day of eating is more intensive and you might feel less inclined to exercise after 48 hours. Stay hydrated at all times drinking only water, plain tea or plain coffee.

I would suggest to fast a day at most, then re-feed to satiety. See how you feel.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I agree primalpilgrim. When I first started IF, I just used a feeding window of say 12pm to 8pm. Now, I just make it random. Some days I don't eat until almost 4-5pm. Other days I might eat at 10am. I might have one meal, or maybe three meals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast