Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: more satisfying eggs page 3

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say that I added a fried egg to some leftover chicken/sausage/mushroom/kombu soup for breakfast... wonderful! I fried a duck egg in a puddle of butter until the white was crispy but yolk still runny. Heated up the soup and then dropped the egg on top (and drizzled the pan butter over the top for good measure). Just as promised, the yolk was a wonderful addition to the broth and I had the joy of the crispy white plus a few bites of creamy yolk edge. Nom nom noms!

Thanks for the suggestion, this made a really nice breakfast.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

kk219003 is offline Junior Member
    These are pretty good suggestions. I've been looking for some new ways to cook eggs.... pre-primal I was eating fried egg sandwiches with ketchup and bacon. Yum. But clearly that can't be carried over. My eggs never taste as good as I remember eating them as a kid. I even threw away a beautiful salad this morning with blueberries (blueberries!) because I couldn't eat those poached eggs.
    Does anyone have recommendations for tips for integrating veggies into scrambled eggs? Go back to the beginning, how do you cook them?

Thanks!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Figures my first post would be about eggs. Hated them so much as a child that my parents had to hide raw ones in chocolate milk from the blender. Somewhere along the line I grew to love them just about anyway.

What I do for veggies in scrambled eggs is to first chop up the veggies to the size I like (you asked to go back to the beginning). I have one of those one-drink blenders that I love for the eggs. A couple of eggs, a touch of water, turn that sucker on, and they're whipped in seconds.

To saute the veggies, use whatever fat/oil/liquid and get it hot in your pan. Then start with the hardest veggie first. For example, lets say you were going to put green pepper, mushrooms, and onions in your eggs. The green pepper takes the longest, then the onion, then the mushrooms, so you'd saute them first, and when they start to get soft, add the onions, and then last the mushrooms. Once your veggies are done to your liking, turn the heat down to medium or medium low.

Wait a few seconds, then pour your eggs in. After that, techniques vary. Some people constantly move the eggs. Some people let the eggs firm up and then move the firm eggs and let the uncooked mixture hit the pan.

Hope that helps.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    To add vegies to eggs?

Cook some chopped up bacon, when you have some bacon fat going add chopped tomatoes, onion, asparagus, peppers - whatever you want, sautee then add the whisked egg. Shove it around. Add salt and pepper. Maybe don't aim for anything pretty until you find combinations you like.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    i keep a batch of sauteed mushrooms in the fridge. this cuts down prep time considerably for adding them to scrambled eggs. this would work with most veg. steam some asparagus, broccoli, spinach, chop and refrigerate.

heat fat of choice over low heat. once warm add a pinch of dried thyme, then add veggies to pan, stir a minute or two, then add stirred eggs. i like the low-slow scramble method, for a much softer result. if the eggs start to look dry, they are overdone. turn off the heat before this happens.

and yeah, i have recently fallen into much love with duck eggs.

if you have a good source for turkey eggs, why not?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

kk219003 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the instructions! I'm actually a pretty good cook, but have always failed when combining veggies and eggs. Just cannot get it right.
    I tried again this morning -- started with chopped bacon, onion and green peppers, then some tomatoes, then added my eggs. At the very end of cooking I added some chimicurri sauce, and may have found my go-to eggs recipe. So tasty! Mostly good because it hides the taste of the eggs. So weird that with eggs you can go through phases of loving and loathing.

Good call on leaving some sauteed mushrooms in the fridge. I think that's an excellent idea.

Heth is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm loving bacon, egg and veggie scrambles lately but I actually start cooking my eggs and bacon in butter and add the veggies after a minute or so. I guess it depends on which veggies you choose, but I find this method works for at least mache, asian greens, rocket, leeks, tomato, garlic (if you like it very flavourful). I guess I do this because my bacon packet has a big warning about cooking it more and I want to make sure the bacon actually gets cooked with the eggs before the veggies come on the scene. I do put a big lid on it and let it all steam it in its own juices and just stir it occasionally. My favourite part is the bits of egg that get stuck to the pan, which get scraped off with a wooden spoon and are the most delicious.

Breakfast rocks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123