Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: more satisfying eggs page 2

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I love soft boiled eggs but most mornings can't be bothered. I usually fry them in a bit of bacon grease.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I've not heard of poaching eggs leaching nutrients into the water. If you're concerned, you could poach them in broth and drink it. I have heard that undercooking the white doesn't fully deactivate the avidin. Avidin binds to biotin (B7 which the yolk in rich in). So as long as your whites are pretty well done, you should be fine.

Just refreshed my memory via wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avidin

See the last section about inactivation of biotin binding. Apparently poaching isn't very effective at deactivating avidin. As much as I love a poached egg, I would hesitate to eat them on a very regular basis based on this info. They are fine in moderation, but frying or medium-boiled seem like they would be better options. Alternatively, you could just cook the whites and yolks separately.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-26-2011 at 12:27 PM.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I've not heard of poaching eggs leaching nutrients into the water. If you're concerned, you could poach them in broth and drink it. I have heard that undercooking the white doesn't fully deactivate the avidin. Avidin binds to biotin (B7 which the yolk in rich in). So as long as your whites are pretty well done, you should be fine.
    I poached a couple eggs in lamb bone broth last night: amazing!
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Apparently poaching isn't very effective at deactivating avidin. As much as I love a poached egg, I would hesitate to eat them on a very regular basis based on this info.
    =(

PS: duck eggs poached in lamb bone broth??? I shall make this happen. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    =(

PS: duck eggs poached in lamb bone broth??? I shall make this happen. Oh, yes. It will be mine.
    Ooo, duck eggs...hmmm.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

I just found a local source of duck eggs. Their yolks taste like hollendaise, sooooo rich and wonderful. They have turkey eggs, too, which for some reason I am way more skeptical of. Anyone tried them?
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I usually completely separate the yolk from the whites, then fry the whites and puncture the yolk over the white/dip the whites in the yolk (along with veggies). It's the goodest!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I like adding different things to my scrambled eggs - tomatoes and scallions, turmeric, bacon - And for those who do dairy, cheese is lovely in scrambled eggs.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I have a European onion soup recipe that involves cracking a fresh egg and dropping the raw yolk on top of the oven crusted bread/parmesan cheese layer (much thinner than the American super-cheesey version). When you eat it, you break the egg yolk with your spoon and stir it into the broth. The hot broth cooks the yolk and the whole broth becomes incredibly rich and creamy, a whole new texture. It's heavenly. The same trick could be adapted to other hot broth soups.

I think I'll have to look at Primal-izing that recipe. It is soooo good!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh, my. That sounds... glorious. I'd been lamenting the loss of French onion soup with lovely, cultured sourdough. This might just make up for it ;0).
    What do you do with the white?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast