Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Beginner's Guide to the Primal Lifestyle page

Madeiro is offline Junior Member

A Beginner's Guide to the Primal Lifestyle

Primal Fuel
    Hey, everyone!

Just published part two of a three-part series on my blog, so I thought I'd link to them here in case anyone had any interest. I'm hoping the guide will be useful to someone on the verge of going Primal, so it's not exactly relevant to everyone already on this forum, but maybe you all know someone who could make use of it.

http://www.threenewleaves.com/a-begi...tyle-part-one/
    http://www.threenewleaves.com/a-begi...tyle-part-two/

Hope it helps!

Keep Grokking,

Matt
    Primal, Minimal, Vagabond(al): Three New Leaves! Check out my blog!

And come say hi on Twitter, too!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Outstanding!!! Added to my blogroll.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    This is great! Looking forward to part 3.

Thank you so much, both of you!

Part three will be along later this week (probably Thursday).

livinlite is offline Senior Member
    Great start on your blog. And I like the layout/design.

I've done a lot of reading on simplicity/simple-living/minimalism over the years...and most of them try to push everyone to a vegan/vegetarian diet, or sell a lifestyle based on fitting into a mold of "this is what minimalism looks like". Needless to say I don't agree with all that.

But I do agree with questioning needs (middle-path, not ascetic, not indulgent), buying local/fair-trade/used when possible, living smaller, and keeping to a relatively simple diet/excersize lifestyle...all while not losing sight of the bigger picture...we do all these lifestyle things to free up the mental/emotional clutter so we can live more fully realized lives, be better to our families, friends, neighbors...and our-selfs. Slow-down, reconnect, etc.

Look forward to enjoying your posts.

Thanks, livinlite!

You have an uncanny knowledge of what's in my head. I've seen that same "meat is evil!" streak running rampant in the minimalist community recently, and I've been likewise turned off by some bloggers' refusal to even consider the evolutionary perspective on what we should eat. Accordingly, I've come to settle down with the same ideas you mentioned: question our needs, buy local, and try live simpler in whichever way possible. It's a far more reasonable (and approachable) take on simpler living, I think, especially when so many people don't realize that it can easily apply to health and nutrition too.

Thanks for reading! I've emailed these to Mark with the hopes that he might like them too.

bball35 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for writing this blog! I have been doing primal stirkly for 4 days, and not so strickly for a few weeks, and this really helped me! I am feeling great! I don't miss the soda, carbs like I thought I would! I have found a way to have spaghetti, but using zuchinni and squash as the noodles, and fresh homemade sauce and it tastes even better than before! The only trouble I am having, is that I love dairy, well not all dairy just cheese, and yogurt. Will that affect my primal way of eating if I continue to eat it, just kind of watching how much i consume?

Dr. Bork Bork is offline Senior Member
    Thank you!!!

Hi, bball35!

Congrats on starting the Primal journey.

Dairy is kind of a grey area for lots of people. If you check the front post on MDA today, you'll see that Mark says the same thing. I eat it (just butter, cheese and the occasional yogurt), but I've heard lots of people -- men and women both -- say that dairy stalls weight loss. Much like most of the Paleo/Primal recommendations, it kinda depends on what works for you.

You have a few options. You can drop dairy for a month and then add it back into your diet to see how your body reacts. If it reacts badly, then you probably have some degree of lactose intolerance, which will probably curtail your dairy consumption from that point forward. If you handle it fine, then keep your yogurt and cheese!

I still lost weight in the beginning with regular yogurt consumption, so if you find yourself losing weight just fine in the next few months, you might not have to worry about it too much. Should the weight loss stall, though, you'll find that dairy often gets the blame.

Hope this helps!

mattpotter is offline Member
    Hey Matt

First of all thanks for these guides, they're awesome! I've passed the links on to some of my friends who don't understand what I'm doing and I think they get it now and they're not dismissing what I'm doing. I'm still very early to this, it's only been 4 days but I've been reading and slowly cutting down for a while.

Looking forward to the next blog, keep up the good work

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast